APPR at London City

Has anyone else noticed that the Approach tool for the ILS at London City Airport EGLC is out of alignment and takes you in far too high? I’m wondering if it’s a fault on my game or if it’s a general fault.

2 Likes

It’s not an error. The glideslope at EGLC is significantly steeper than the average. The average is 3.0 degrees. EGLC have a 5.5 degree slope.

21 Likes

I always thought IF uses standard glidescopes at every airport. Good to know that they’re different and therefore realistic.

2 Likes

I’ve flown there a few times and i really enjoy the approach. Its thoroughly entertaining.

1 Like

A notoriously steep approach due to high buildings on the approach path.

Really? At the start of the runway you’re around 1000ft. I think that’s slightly too steep?

Yes, really. It’s that steep in real life.

2 Likes

Interesting. Trying to land the A318 there is thoroughly entertaining. I’ll have to disengage the Approach earlier in future as these aircraft aren’t equipped with steep approach. Gather far too much speed descending in that quickly! Ha

Don’t use APPR on EGLC :) None of the aircraft we have in the app today are configured for steep approaches, the Dash-8 even have a plate in the cockpit saying it’s not.

17 Likes

20180309_100051

2 Likes

Excellent. Thanks!!!

MaxSez: This London City glide slope & Negative APPR issue is a repeater. I think this is a a corrective action ezly addressed by the airport editors. What say you @dush19. Just add a “No APPR” with rationale in the Chart Airport data Block.

1 Like

We can’t Max, IF doesn’t support this datum yet.

1 Like

@dush19. MaxSez: Thanks for the rapid response my duty expert friend.
Capability noted.

FYI, Been Flying Oceanica. Really surprised at the detail you guy have displayed on some of those remote island bastions in remote almost forgotten WWll battle sites. Looking forward to the imagery upgrade hopefully on the to do list. My compliments to your crew…

2 Likes

I never noticed how steep this approach actually is, until now. Very interesting to see the skyline of London in this 3D images. There’s a pretty good reason for this high angle.

Images made by using the KML Export Feature of LiveFlight. Airplane: A318

2 Likes

In real life most aircraft are actually using some degree of speed brake, so for even more realism you can use the spoilers in flight until you hit the ground due to such a steep approach path.

1 Like