App keep crashing after 19.4 update

I’m not a developer here, Bruce, but I wanted to chime in as well and just say thank you for a well thought out post and for voicing your opinion very reasonably. Cameron and Seb have given you as much info as we know (except some specific inner-workings secret sauce details we can’t share), but I want to say that from an admin standpoint, I’ve taken your post to heart. Some good things to consider.

Cheers,
Jason

13 Likes

i havent really experienced these crashes even tho im using a phone from 2018. but i did coding in high school and i understand when it comes to crashes and bugs it is hard to find them, especially its not fully in ur coding. Like they said, they are 4 devs for a big app like this one. So lets be patient and good stuff will come along.

1 Like

Yes, same here. I have never experienced an app crash on my IPad Pro from 2017. In the tech world, that is like ancient. I consider my self fortunate that I am not encountering these issues and that I can still fly my ultra long hauls that I so very much enjoy.

However, for those less fortunate with their apps, I do hope this issue gets fixed. I can imagine how annoying it must be completing a 14 or 15 hour long flight and then having it crash in short final.

2 Likes

i have 4gb ram

Quick update:

Thank you all for the extreme patience with this issue. Just wanted to let you know that we found a promising workaround for this issue and are currently testing it. Unless we find any major side effect, this should make it into our upcoming release.

The reason it took this long to solve is multifaceted: this issue is only affecting very long sessions (6h+) on older iOS devices (<=2GB RAM) which only represent a small percentage of our (very dedicated) users. To make it even more complex, it was dependent on your route (if it was mostly over water there was less chances to crash) and how your camera was oriented during your cruise (if looking at terrain you had more chances of crashes). Also also those crashes didn’t generate any log which made it harder to track at first.
All those different parameters sent us on many wild goose chases before we managed to narrow down the issue to a memory leak inside a 3rd party library. It took a while for the third party to find and fix the problem but then we had to wait for their fix to be officially released.
Since we can’t wait indefinitely, we ended up working on a different workaround which took some time but at least now we have a viable solution.

This surely could have been managed a bit better; it just was an extremely frustrating issue to work on, especially when we have many other tasks to accomplish for our upcoming releases. At the very least we gained a ton of experience in how to deal with this type of bug in the future.

102 Likes

Oh that’s awesome! So there is a workaround being tested currently?

1 Like

That must be such a relief! This bug must have been extremely frustrating, and I appreciate all of the updates on this issue! I personally think you managed the issue extremely well, and I look forward to the next update!

Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Flew EDDM to RKSI in the A350 a couple days ago. My device is the 2018 iPad with 128 GB of storage. Everything was fine, but I was messing around and zooming in and out a lot on the “Normal” camera view. I guess that ruined it because at 25,000 feet, the app crashed. RIP. I was really looking forward to finishing a really long haul.

Glad to hear that there’s work being done on this! Great job, team!

1 Like

Thanks for your response, brings some excitement for what is next to come!

Yes, it’s being tested as we speak :)

10 Likes

5 months… but it’s finally here! I can finally do the route I was always waiting to do when 19.4 released- WSSS-KEWR. It’s like 19.4 is coming out all over again! Thanks for the update!

5 Likes

Haha same 😂! I want to do that flight desperately, also to be able to fly with high graphics again will we awesome!

1 Like

Oh that’s cool!

Awesome glad to hear that the staff is doing an amazing job. Can’t wait for update!

2 Likes

I was flying from Tokyo to Vancouver, i tried 3 times and always crashed :(
Thank you so much :))

2 Likes

So we will be able to fly these long hauls with our settings on high anti-aliasing on?

1 Like

Thank you guys so much for the notice! I have been playing on an iPad mini 2 (yes it is an old device, but it’s all I’ve got) and could not finish any flight, whether it was 20 hours or 10 minutes, and knowing there will be a potential fix really makes me happy. Thank you!

3 Likes

I really hope so !

That depends on what kind of device you have. Running everything on highest on an iPad Air or iPhone 6 would for example not work very well even under optimal conditions.

1 Like

What if it’s Ipad 7th generation ? Or s10