App keep crashing after 19.4 update

Your crash was most likely related to something else and not due to the memory leak.

I’ve flown 18hrs to 22hrs on both iPad Pro (2018) and iPhone 11 Pro Max with settings on medium-high.

I also have the cinematic camera view when flying as I don’t find any issues with ULH flights anymore which I did in the early days of 19.4 launching. I’m also on iOS and iPadOS 13.3, and not 13.4, if that makes any difference.

All I have done to be able to fly ULHs is; Turning Off Anti-Aliasing and that’s basically what has worked for me. I know that similar settings for others have not gone that great and there are those with almost no issues at all from the get go with high end devices.

1 Like

“something else”? I’ve diligently scanned the 19.4 troubleshooting guide a good 10 times, followed every step and tweak with the exception of this last “sky-facing camera” fix. Phone sits on a desk with full wifi bars to a 120mbps connection, last message on replay UI lists “reconnected to server possible connection issue detected”

Running in background were:
IfOperations
IfAssistant
InfinitePassengers

2 Likes

And this might actually be it. Connectivity issues may cause the app to crash. It is more likely in your case since your device have excellent performance metrics.

1 Like

Ive erred on the side of caution ever since 19.4, actually my first app crash on 11 pro Max iPhone, but this was also my first 14hours + ULH attempt. Aliasing always off, graphics settings on low, airplane count low, limiter on, seems a waste of hardware playing this game on low everything… oh well

2 Likes

understood… i guess its a huge bummer how even with blazing fast wifi conxs. we’re still at the mercy of a wireless signal which can drop out any second :/

Anything else i should/could be doing to minimize the risks of this re-occuring, planning on having a go at the flight again in order to compare results

1 Like

It’s quite unfortunate to say the least. The best we can do is to wait, as the Developers progresses further into finding some sort of solution.

I too have faced crashes at 10hrs and at 16hrs but the past two months I’ve been able to push both the iPhone and iPad to 20hrs+, but ofc I can not get anywhere near those 50 or 70hrs of flying like in the past :(

2 Likes

Speed is not the most important thing here. Stability is. That you’re running 3(!) separate apps hammering the API might not be improving the situation.

2 Likes

current wifi installation i must say is rather stable, reason for which i remembered to disclose using 3 third party apps, ill try ditching the Passengers App on my second attempt, appreciate your replies.

2 Likes

I did a long haul today on my ageing IPad Air 2, with medium range settingS. Adopting the approach of pointIng the camera to the sky has seemed to have worked! 11 hours in the A350 and no crashes. Thanks for the workaround Laura!

3 Likes

I use the iPad mini 4 (not greatest device for IF) and really don’t experience crashes anymore. Recently I’ve crashed on final again but it might have had to do with all the traffic in and around the airport (so I set my airplane count to low when I approach such a crowded destination, which is now more common than before because of the pandemic).

Before every flight, I restart my device, have my graphics settings set to medium, airplane count set to high (I set it to low before landing at a very crowded airport, which are many these days), and have limit frame rate on. I also usually have my camera in the cockpit (less refreshing of the terrain around you).

Strong emphasis on restarting your device before every flight though. This crashing issue exists but it has stopped affecting me, I’m able to do any flight I please. DM me if you have questions on this 💯

Are you running IF-Assistant or any other API related apps in the backround?

I run IFPax and IF-Assistant

1 Like

Successfully completed a flight of 15:11 using the pointing the camera to sky method

1 Like

After a lot of investigation we are finally confident about the source of this issue. The root cause is in a 3rd party framework we use to perform requests to our servers (to download imagery and elevation tiles for example). We have reported the issue to the 3rd party but it might still take a while to get a fix.
In the meantime, we are attempting to find a workaround but it is a fairly delicate piece of code that is hard to change without potential side effects (adding more bugs).

We will report back once we find a workaround.

Thank you for your continued patience.

82 Likes

Wow, that is fantastic news for everyone
Thank you so much Developers for working hard to find a way to fix it

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this. Will it be fixed before the next big release @philippe (Like the 777/cloud release)?

Read the 2nd half of Philippes post :)

For new arrivals to this topic, this is a good temporary tip to avoid crashes :

1 Like

I attempted an a350 long haul after seeing the possible workaround- and have good news to share, I guess. I made it to 9 hours exact flight time, before getting a little too confident and attempting to turn anti aliasing back on, which immediately crashed the app. However, this is a new a350 flight time record for me, so I can’t not be happy.

3 Likes