Any tips on how to use AutoLand?

I just tried using AutoLand for the first time, after watching the tutorial (linked below). I Captain Crunch’ed it hard.

Does anyone have tips on how to butter it, using the APPR?

APPR doesn’t butter :)

11 Likes

I like to just fly it down to minimums and then butter it manually.

1 Like

i can vouch for that :) infact i only use APPR to line up with the rwy, then when i get called out at 500ft i dosconnect the A/P and land manually :) works every time

3 Likes

This is practically what i do as well. Works best.

4 Likes

So, APPR is a better tool for aligning, rather than actually getting on the ground?

2 Likes

It pretty much does everything for you. Just don’t come in at 180 knots. Slow to the aircraft approach/landing speed.

As the aircraft touches down, you may want to be in control of your rudder to stay centered of the runway.

3 Likes

That depends. It will get you where you need to be, within safe parameters.
But it won’t “butter” the landings.

3 Likes

okay, gotcha.

Thanks!

2 Likes

put it this way, my most buttery moment was with Aer lingus A333 at Edinbrough (idk how to spell) and i used APPR for alligning and when i got called out at 200 i disconnected everytging but the HDG and i buttered it soo smooooth and that was on my first night on the game

1 Like

yep, can sometimes get messy if not calibrated device 😅 done that earlier by mistake oops🤣

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips everyone! Really appreciate the info!

No problem buddy! Happy flying 😊

I have very little time for long flights, or to be in the cockpit for a long time …

I stick to the CRJ-200 and 737-800, set up full STAR and Approach flight plan, only arrive on ILS equipped runways. When I get to roughly the IAF, I make sure the ILS pickup conditions are good, then switch to APPR, and let the A/P do 99 percent of the work.

I basically take over when it’s time to manage the rudder, reverse thrust, and brakes. Then I taxi to at least “clear of all runways”, and decide if I have time enough to park and shut down.

I’m sure many others are more professional.

Yeah, don’t use auto land! 😉

1 Like

No seriously. I use the APPR mode if I’m doing an ILS approach. But I do enjoy to manually fly the plane from time to time. What I do is depending on how I’m feeling when I hear the 1000 or 500 callout, I’ll calibrate the device and turn of A/P and fly it to the runway.

1 Like

In a way yes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.