Any tips for improving controlling alot of traffic

Hello I’m currently in the process of ifatc recruiting and I need tips for the practical test and improving in general
I know the manual exists etc. But any tips for controlling lots of traffic for example Sequencing and not getting mixed up etc
Thanks for reading

1 Like
  1. Always sequence the planes

2. Always give clearances on time

3. Be proactive on the tower and never miss a go-around.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply means alot

1 Like

If you have any questions or queries regarding IFATC, don’t hesitate to message.

2 Likes

Get yourself a plan before opening. Look at the airport layout. Try to create a plan and get an idea of how to bring planes into a sorted line. For example: when the airport has only one runway, try to use one downwind. It easier for you as a controller and the pilots to understand who to follow. If you have an airport with two runways, try to split traffic equally.

2 Likes

Oh ok for example if there’s 8 planes 4 for to one runway another 4 goes to the other ok thanks for the reply

1 Like

I am also in the process, and it is somewhat difficult but I am taking practice and getting used to it.

When I take a little more control, I’ll take better practice in two frequencies at the same time!

1 Like

Yeah it’s actually tough hopefully we both improve and join IFATC
Also thanks for the reply

Hello, I’ve also got some tips for you, I hope you find them helpful too. :)

1. Sequence planes as soon as they are on upwind, so they will know who they have to follow from the beginning; after their readback, you may clear them after. This will make your life easier as they won’t turn into another, and you won’t need to clear them on base.
  2. “Extend downwind/upwind” can be good to clear conflicts, but it should not be used to make an aircraft follow somebody else, that will be overcontrolling. Instead, just sequence them. Trust the pilots. :)
  3. Always look out for possible conflicts / resequences. Proactivity is the key here!
  4. Always have a general look on your airspace. Do not do tunnel vision, is basically loosing general awareness.
  5. As @Black_Bird have said, plan your airport. Which pattern direction should be used? How is the ground layout and where are the hot spots for possible conflicts which will require to use Give Way? What would be the transition altitude?
  6. Stay calm on your practical test, that will make you focused. Don’t mind about who are these people, just focus on getting a bunch of planes in the pattern, and identify and resolve conflicts.
  7. If you fail the test, you shouldn’t be very sad about it, you have the option to take some training with official ATC trainers to get on track, it will definetly help you polish some thing you’d probably didn’t before.
  8. If you want, you can always check the Perfect ATC Test video on the IF YouTube channel. It helped me a lot to pass it back in 2020.
  9. And finally, I think is the most important for me: be yourself. I believe every controller has a unique way to control.

If you have any questions feel free to DM me too :)

2 Likes

Thank you very much for these tips and I hope i will one day join Ifatc this means alot thank you

2 Likes

wouldnt split them up and take them off their requested unless absolutely needed, some pilots get mad.
Just keep them on their requested rwy

1 Like

I agree with all of these points but the biggest one I have to emphasise is DO NOT PANIC! Stay calm and just follow what you have done in not only training server but in your training sessions with your trainer. As you do more and more sessions you will become more confident and comfortable!

1 Like

I am still less than three months into being a new controller and everyone is correct. I would read and read the advice again from @JetSuperior5192 as he makes great points.

The most important thing is to remain calm and have an idea in your head what you are going to do. Each controller has their own way of doing things, find yours. I am a LUAW guy, I want the aircraft in position so that when I do my scan to ensure its clear I don’t have lag time. You will find your niche. Good luck and hope to see you on the ES side soon.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.