Any lovely airports to take the X Cub?

I want to take the X Cub for a spin in some beautiful snowy scenery. Have you got any good ideas for me? Mountany and snowy is nice? Thank you!

Snowy, no. Mountainy, yes.

Check out Shek Kong Airfield (VHSK) in Hong Kong!

1 Like

I’ve heard a lot of places, like Queenstown, NZ. I’ve controlled there before, it’s so amazing, I will definitely make sure to check that out myself. But yeah, you should visit that airport.

And then there’s also Alaska an Canada, there are amazing places to visit over there. Usually I would recommend mountainous regions. Make sure the elevation is not too high, you might struggle a bit.

Edit: FLY VFR

1 Like

Definitely explore the Southeastern part of Alaska like Juneau (PAJN).

I don’t think he should do that - he doesn’t know the regions we have suggested to him all to well.

1 Like

Yes, I do agree with you. Fly VFR at your home airport first, get used to navigating using landscape.

If feel you’re up for it, try studying maps, make sure they are geographal, and showing the elevations.

Make a plan, note down landmarks e.g rivers, weird shaped mountains etc.
You’ll be surprised where just a river can take you;)

1 Like

The only problem with this is landmark approaches because the land is 2D and therefore you cannot navigate! When inbound to my local aerodrome landmark approaches are very important and it does not have any other approach patterns, making it not the most realistic VFR ever, to fly around lakes!
Happy Flying :D
Cign

2 Likes

Hey, good point. May I ask if you ever have flown VFR before? From the sounds of it, you haven’t really. Mountains and rivers are simulated quite well in this sim;)

Not in the Sim really but the point is with regarding to real life, lakes often do get dried up especially during Summer! You can’t trust them too much!

Hahaha that’s right. Here in Northern Europe that doesn’t happen too much. I do think he’s talking about in IF though. In real life, You always have mountain in mountainous areas, and also buildings!

1 Like

But not in this sim. It can’t dry up, so make use of it!

2 Likes

He does have a point though. Flying VFR in Hong Kong can get challenging, as you can’t see any recognisable buildings there… I just navigate via rivers, mountains and by using LiveFlight as my map.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m trying to say - thanks Vinne:)

1 Like

Here is an example of how I navigate during VFR flights (along with looking at “landmarks”):

1 Like

Some of my Airport recommendations for the XCub.

PAJN (Juneau Int’l) is a nice Alaskan Airport full of mountains. Recommended route: PAJN-PAGS

1 Like

Lukla is what I would recommend. tenor (1)

It’s Nice or Lukla?

I can suggest a nice flight, LSGL / LSGK
It requires a bit of charts reading but it’s really satisfying once you start the visual into it.

2 Likes

I like the look of that one!

Lake Tahoe Airport (KTVL)

Found this small airport on the way into Reno (KRNO). Spawned in right next to the beautiful lake!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.