Antonov AN225 Mriya Lands at CYYZ

The largest, heaviest plane in the world landed yesterday at Toronto Pearson International Airport. I could not deprive myself of this rare opportunity, so I went and took some nice pics.
Here’s some background behind the AN225 before I show you the goods…

The Antonov AN225 (registration UR-82060) was designed by the Antonov Design Bureau in the Ukrainian SSR back in the 1980s. It was built for heavy cargo, and with its 6 turbofan engines and 32 wheels, the AN225 can carry up to 640 tonnes at takeoff. It has a wingspan of 88m and a range of just over 8000NM. This plane is surprisingly cheap coming in at about $250 million US dollars, so if you happen to have a bit of spare change lying around, I’d say it’s worth investing in one of these.

on a more serious note…
Recently, Antonov has been flying the AN225 Mriya to populated cities in North America, delivering medical supplies to help fight the CoVid-19 pandemic. As the plane is heavy, and the range isn’t too long, Mriya has had to do multiple legs to fly over here. Starting off at Tianjin Binhai International (ZBTJ), it has flown to Chubu Centrair International (RJGG) and Anchorage International (PANC), before finally arriving at Pearson International (CYYZ) on May 30th at 0949 local time. Toronto thanks Antonov for their kind help delivering much-needed supplies to our front-line workers and our vulnerable communities.

Now without further ado, here is the AN225 Mriya:

This is my first time spotting. Don’t go too harsh on me…

Let me know which shot was your favourite!
Also to you regular plane spotters, let me know ways that I can improve my plane spotting.

-KT

46 Likes

@robert_xing

4 Likes

Man those are some beautiful pics, my fav was pic 1

1 Like

Thank you! Too bad it was a cloudy day…

These shots are fantastic! I wouldn’t even be able to tell it was your first time spotting

2 Likes

wow i feel left out

Brilliant photos! Will you be at the departure this morning? I certainly will!

2 Likes

Thanks. Definitely enjoyed being there so I’ll be back for more some other day.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t feel like waking up at 7am to drive 45 mins to CYYZ. The landing was enough for me lol.

1 Like

lol i slept through the insane engines somehow so i have to wake up to see it leave

1 Like

Incredible pictures :)

1 Like

Nice, great to see this

1 Like

Those are some great pictures especially for your first time spotting. You’re a natural.

1 Like

Nice photos! Do you think it’ll ever come to Chicago O’Hare?

Those are some incredible pics! I have never seen the AN225 personally though.

1 Like

You mean the AN-225

these are awesome pictures! what a wonderful bird.

1 Like

KORD is a pretty big hub so maybe it’ll be there soon.

Im still not sure. It only just got A380 certified so I doubt it actually will. It may be big but the runways can’t handle anything too heavy. The largest plane that has ever been there I think was a C-5

1 Like

Dude. These pics are amazing. Hands down the best pictures. Nice camera btw.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.