The An-22 is a heavy transport aircraft designed by the Antonov Design Bureau in the Soviet Union. It‘s Powered by four turboprop engines each driving a pair of contra-rotating propellers, the design was the first wide-body transport aircraft and remains the world’s largest turboprop-powered aircraft to date. It has a pretty interesting history, too.
- Crew: 5–6
- Capacity: 28–29 pax / 80,000 kg (176,370 lb) maximum payload
- Length: 57.92 m (190 ft 0 in) approx (dependent on nose config.)
- Wingspan: 64.4 m (211 ft 3 in)
- Height: 12.53 m (41 ft 1 in)
- Wing area: 345 m2 (3,710 sq ft)
- Airfoil: root: TsAGI S-5-16 ; tip: TsAGI S-5-13
- Empty weight: 114,000 kg (251,327 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 250,000 kg (551,156 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 43,000 kg (94,799 lb) maximum
- Powerplant: 4 × Kuznetsov NK-12MA turboprop engines, 11,000 kW (15,000 shp) each (equivalent)
- Propellers: 8-bladed contra-rotating constant-speed reversible-pitch propeller
Maximum speed: 740 km/h (460 mph, 400 kn)
Range: 5,000 km (3,100 mi, 2,700 nmi) with maximum payload
10,950 km (6,800 mi; 5,910 nmi) with maximum fuel and 45,000 kg (99,208 lb) payload
Wing loading: 724.6 kg/m2 (148.4 lb/sq ft) max
Power/mass: 0.1789 kW/kg (0.1088 hp/lb) max
Take-off run: 1,300 m (4,265 ft)
Landing run: 800 m (2,625 ft)
There were built 68 aircraft but only 4 are still active today.
This aircraft is breathtaking ! The sound, its propeller and everything looks unique :)
Now I know many people will have a problem that there are only 4 aircraft operating. I know it would be much cooler if there were more of them but on the other hand you have to understand that this is the reason why the aircraft is very special. We would finally get some eastern aircraft and honestly I would rather find it cool to see a group flight of the An-22 although there is only one in real life :). I really like this aircraft and it deserves a bit more love ! It might take some time until we‘ll see it in IF but waiting until the time has come is worth it ✈️.
For more information:
I would appreciate a comment below and a vote :) !