Antonov An-22 "Antei"

(photo cred Dmitry Petrov - http://russianplanes.net/ID46015)

Antonov AN-22

The Antonov An-22 “Antei” is a Soviet era based aircraft, originally built for heavy loads for the Soviet Union. The “Antei” is now a transporter for heavy cargo all over the world. The AN-22 is powered by four turbo prop propellers, each driving a pair of contra-rotating propellers.

Operational history

The AN-22 was first introduced to the world in August of 1964, she took her first maiden flight in February of 1965. It entered service for the Soviets in July of 1970. The Soviets sent an AN-22 to Peru in support of humanitarian aid after the Ancash earthquake. An-22s were also used to deliver Soviet military aid to Egpyt and Syria during the Yom Kippur War in 1973. The An-22s from Migalovo were used for the initial deployment of the Soviet Airborne Troops VDV) during the 1979 Soviet invasion in Afghanistan. In 1984, military An-22s were used to deliver MI8 helicopters to Ethiopia during drought relief operations. In 1986 the aircraft of the 8th Military Air Transport Aviation Regiment from Migalovo were used to deliver materials for the Chernobyl disaster. In late 1980s, the An-22s were used to deliver Internal Troops to many regional conflicts during and after the breakup of the Soviet Union. In 1995 they deployed the Russian peacekeeping force from the 98th Guards Airborne Division during the Bosnian War.
Today, Antonov Airlines operate one An-22, the Russian Federation Military operates 5.

Variants

An-22
Three original were prototypes built at the Antonov factory in Kiev

An-22
Initial production variant with external start system, 37 built at Tashkent.

An-22A

Improved variant with air-start capability, modified electrical system, and updated radio and navigation equipment, 28 built at Tashkent.

An-22PZ

Conversion of two An-22s to carry wing centre sections or outer wings of Antonov An-124 or An-225 externally above fuselage. Fitted with third centerline fin

Operators

The Soviet Union, operating 65 of them.

The Russian Federation Military, operating 5 of them.

Antonov Airways, operating 1.

Air Sofia

Aeroflot, operating one

General characteristics

• Crew: 5–6
  • Capacity: 290 passengers
  • Payload. 176,350 lb (80,000 kg)
    Length: 189 ft 11½ in
  • WIngspan 211 ft 4 in
  • Height: (41 ft 1½ in)
  • Empty Weight 251,325 lb
  • Max Takeoff Weight 551,160 lb
  • Powerplant: 4 × Kuznetsov NK-12 turboprops driving contra-rotating propeller 15,000 shp each

My opinion:
I think having a Soviet Union Era aircraft would be great! With an addition to the worlds largest propeller powered aircraft and a historical dinosaur it’d be fun! This would make it an eye catcher for people interested in buying the game seeing that Infinite Flight has older generation of aircraft!

Great request! Although when I see requests for aircraft like this, my mind is saying:

“TS gonna be more chaos”

Although some inexperienced players shouldn’t prevent us from getting this plane, I just feel sympathy for any pro who gets ghosted and they’re stuck there for a week. 😂

4 Likes

Lol for a week or two

Would love to see some Russian aircraft in the sim!

3 Likes

Agreed! I love see more cargo aircraft also so this is a perfect fit! Specially on how unique it is!

1 Like

Nice request! I think the design is so bad but at the same time so sexy with those wings and the tail

2 Likes

Yes I agree that this is a good idea. It would be nice to have some aircraft from different countries

1 Like

Vote for it and enough people we can see it!

1 Like

Wiredest plane ive ever seen

2 Likes

Lol it’s a cool one!!

1 Like

The back end of it looks like they just hit it with a wreaking ball

1 Like

Awesome request. An underdog favourite of mine for sure!

8 Likes

Thanks Misha! Hopefully we see some old Soviet union aircraft on the game!

What a absolute beast looks great and its something different i wouldn’t mind having it

1 Like

Same here! With IF not having a ton of props this be a great add on!

1 Like

Ok i rest my case then

What was your case? lol

The back of it being hit with a wreaking ball case

I really enjoy the soviet cargo planes, they are built rugged and built to last. If I free up a vote I’ll be sure to drop it here. Would be great to bring it in on some dirt or grass fields like this:

2 Likes

I would love to see this! IF dosent have enough dedicated cargo jets! I’m out of votes, I’ll vote if I can free one up, but you have my full support!

1 Like