Android freezing solutions - what I've found

I’ve been doing my own testing on my device (Samsung Galaxy s5) to push the limits of the app with my device and see what causes it to freeze so I know what it can handle to make my flight experience more memorable. Aside from doing everything that the mods have posted, I also tried something else after hearing a few other complaints.

I recall reading about how imagery is rendered to your device a few months back, so I tried something. If I fly in cockpit view the whole flight, I have ZERO problems. The imagery in the direction I’m facing is rendered without issues. Once you change your camera view and look a different direction, more imagery is being rendered, which puts more stress on the app and the device. My device tends to freeze up if I switch camera angles frequently throughout my flight as I don’t believe my device can handle the load.

I’m not saying stay in cockpit for the whole flight, that would ruin the global experience. However, staying mindful of how much you switch views may be be the difference between an app crash and a successful flight!

Disclaimer: I’m not a tech guy.

9 Likes

That’s a great suggestion (and I am going to try it on IOS). The issue is that you aren’t always going to be flying perfectly parallel / perpendicular to regions, so it will often still load many sections of scenery anyway.

2 Likes

@Reedgreat true story. I find i keep having problems leaving KEWR and heading west. So im using that path as my control as I keep testing things.

2 Likes

Why ever not? If you’re being as realistic as possible then it is the way to go and certainly doesn’t ruin the experience, I spend about 95% of the flight in cockpit view to simulate realism and really enjoy it.

1 Like

@Epic_me_123 im with you on that, im always in cockpit. But I meant for group flights or screenshots and things of that nature.

1 Like

@Reedgreat my first test leaving KEWR, i didnt even make it to Pennsylvania. This last test i made it over Lake Erie when it froze.

1 Like

Does the app crash as well, or only freeze? I would also suggest the common things that are recommended, like lowering your settings, turning off antialiasing, limiting frame rate, and restarting your device before a flight so you have more free ram memory.

@Reedgreat just freezes. Yeah i do all of those things as well. Im still playing around with everyrhing to get it right. But in my case it seems to be with rendering. Leaving the camera in cockpit really seems to help with my device.

3 Likes

I also heard using the hud without the minimap helps, so have you tried that too?

Yeah thats the first thing that i did

1 Like

I still have not had a successful flight yet. For some reason, Android devices really like to freeze.

yep same, I struggle to do a full 1hr flight. It happens on decent…

1 Like

Similar sporadic problem with my Invidia tablet.
Glad I’m not the only one.

2 Likes

I’m on a Nvidia tablet too, and cannot get a flight over 15 minutes without freezing. This could be a bug with how it runs with the processor.

2 Likes

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one! This must be a really bad bug…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.