Andrew Sees The Sun Again | Spotting @ Toronto [CYYZ]

HELLO COMMUNITY!

Here are some photos from my recent(ish) trip to Toronto. It was a relatively sunny day, despite smoke blowing in from Alberta threatening to blot out the sun. Halfway through the day, we also got word of an AN-124 coming in from @Altaria55 land bringing a GE90 for one of Air Canada’s 777s. To top it off, Icelandair sent one of their specials for a visit.

Gear: Sony α7iii + Sony 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS

Let’s get into the photos.

Icelandair 757-300 [TF-ISX] → Reykjavik [BIKF]

ISO10000 on this, modern cameras and editing software are truly wonders.

Antonov Airlines AN-124-100M ← Dallas [KDFW]

My first (moving) Antonov. Had to pan it.

Air Canada A220-300 [C-GTZH] → Boston [KBOS]

Been a while since I did cloud work but it works on this one.

China Southern 777-200(F) [B-2042] → Qingdao [ZSQD]

Ignore the pole.

Air Canada 777-300(ER) [C-FIUL] ← Zurich [LSZH]

More cloud work.

Air Canada 737 MAX 8 [C-GMEX] ← Mexico City [MMMX]

Crosswinds putting in some work.

Air Transat A330-300 [C-GTSD] → Toronto [CYYZ] (I guess)

3-3-3 on an A330 should be a crime.

Lufthansa 747-400 [D-ABVY] ← Frankfurt [EDDF]

First time using this spot, might wait for cooler temperatures before I come back.

China Southern 777-200(F) [B-2042] ← Vancouver [CYVR]

Getting creative with impeding ground equipment.

Ethiopian Airlines A350-900 [ET-AYN] → Addis Ababa [HAAB]

Heat haze can leave.

Toronto feels like it might be on the upswing (just a little), with the return of many international carriers. That doesn’t change the fact that we have no good spots, the runway usage is still far from ideal, and the sun manages to stay out for a whole day maybe once a week, but we take what we can get.

Check me out on Instagram. I post (occasionally):

33 Likes

Nice photos!

Saw this one earlier today

1 Like

Hello Andrew!

I love your shots!

1 Like

Tell me the secrets of your spotting and editing equipment cuz holy bad word those images are insane.

1 Like

Thanks yall

The gear is listed in the topic (although I wouldn’t recommend buying it if you’re starting out, it’s very expensive). For editing I use a combination of Lightroom, Photoshop, and the Topaz Suite. Other than that, I’ve been at this for almost 5 years now so you learn some stuff along the way.

2 Likes

Incredible stuff as usual!

1 Like

Nice pictures. Must have really still hands in low light!

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous! My favorite is the first one. I’ve seen that 757 in person at both KMSP & BIKF. Nice job!

1 Like

Thanks!

Actually no, I have really shaky hands for a photographer. I purposefully went to 1/30 for that Icelandair when a more reasonable shutter speed for the conditions would be like 1/15 or 1/10 - but I can’t reliably hit 1/10 through a fence. Luckily my camera has decent low-light capability so the ISO10000 was manageable.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.