ANA 787: Nose Dive During Final

Hello IFC!

Here’s an interesting video I found of an ANA 787 on final at Tokyo Narita International during Typhoon Cimaron. What looked like a standard approach turned into a terrifying nose dive and an immediate go-around. Just watching the video is chilling; it must’ve been even more frightening for the passengers on board. This video serves as a good reminder to always wear your seat belt during landing.

16 Likes

That was terrifying!

2 Likes

Jusy shows how things outside the pilots controll can have such a drastic affect on the flight. Too many people blame the pilots when the pilot 99% never intended to nose dive, and recovered great!

6 Likes

I wonder why they didn’t divert before this or if they did after. Landing in a typhoon doesn’t strike me as the best decision.

“I’d rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air than in the air wishing I was on the ground!”

10 Likes

That is scary. I wonder how it would look from the inside. 😬😬

2 Likes

Hey! It looks like my landings!

22 Likes

Lol, #relatable!

(we’ve all pulled one of these I think, we were all new sometime!)

5 Likes

I never knew there was a real life casual server. Huh.

12 Likes

Well it’s good to know that the 787 sensitivity on IF is pretty accurate! 😃

5 Likes

Idk why that almost looks fake?, maybe its just quality, and it looked like that went really fast, but if i were a passenger I would honestly love that flight!

2 Likes

Dont we all love thise near death experiances? 😂

3 Likes

Yessss the average aviation lover would love the experience! Am i wrong? 😂☺️

2 Likes

It’s a regular occurrence. When it’s 12am and I really want to land and go to bed but the glide slope is way off… 🛬

5 Likes

Haha that’s so true!

Oh my good lord that must have been so frightening for the passengers and the pilots becuase they would have been getting the “GLIDESLOPE’’ and “PULL UP” warnings.

Good on the pilots to make a go around otherwise that could’ve gotten nasty!

1 Like

That’s exactly what happened to me at KATL yesterday morning

1 Like

Oh my! I didn’t expect it to be that drastic. Luckily it wasn’t closer to the ground. I bet the passengers and pilots were wide awake after that.

Not really. Unless they were more than 1 dot deviation from the slope on the ILS which doesn’t look likely and the EGPWS would be inhibited on the ILS with the gear down and in landing config.

It’s a windy, turbulent day. Properly briefed windshear go-around most likely. Set criteria to look for by the non handling pilot. Large, sudden deviation from the flight path profile and associated speed divergence would be a good enough call for me!!!

It happens. Especially in Narita!

1 Like

It’s amazing how much stress airplane wings can take

Those were very sudden and fast maneuvers I’m glad everyone was okay after the fact