An interesting discovery about the Floating Point Bug

Hi all, I was flying the New York region today and I noticed something strange about the Floating a point Bug, now most of you know if you land at the same airport you started at it won’t occur. But I noticed when returning to JFK (the one I started at), the bug stopped inflight once I was cleared to land or in the airports frequency.

I’m not sure why but I found quite interesting :).

What do you mean it stopped in flight? I never noticed it when flying.

Isn’t it only when you are on the ground?

1 Like

It is due to location being expressed in floating point type. It occurs in the air too, just less noticeable.

4 Likes

You mean that the aircraft never follows HDG and it goes to the left/right? If its that it happens to me.

When @Skylines was cleared to land or connected to JFK tower the bug stopped

1 Like

It’s relative to the origin of the flight, if you come back to where you started from, then the issue is not there.

11 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

That’s why I only fly in circles hahaha

4 Likes

This is already known, since the floating point depends on distance from origin and not on flight time.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Floating point numbers (when represented in memory) accumulate rounding error. As your location moves away from the origin (your starting point), the error adds up to some noticeable amount.

This isn’t an IF-only bug – it is very common. Google it for more info.

2 Likes

I’m not an airport developer, so I wouldn’t understand the programming. But would it originate from the designs…?

http://effbot.org/pyfaq/why-are-floating-point-calculations-so-inaccurate.htm
For more information…

2 Likes

My experience is that if I fly a 30 min max flight I get this bug, but if I continue flying to another airport once I land it is gone. If you continue to fly it will eventually come back and then go away

There isn’t any programming in airport editing.

No. This has nothing to do with the designs.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.