An Hour Controlling

So, over this weekend, I had my birthday party, and me and my friends went for a few things around springbank airport (CYBW). One of those things included a tour of springbank airport’s ATC Tower! That was fun and all, and we got to go up in the cab and watch the controllers control for 20 minutes (ish).

When I got home from school today, my dad had a surprise for me!

The manager, Shamus has invited me for an hour of controlling with the controllers! This was big news for me! I am so excited!
I will update this as news comes along!

42 Likes

Wow I’m jealous :D Enjoy that hour and hope you share some facts with us :)

3 Likes

Will do :)

2 Likes

That’s amazing! I’d take the opportunity! You definitely got the attention of the Manager, and that is a great!
Have fun!

1 Like

Thanks. I guess I certainly did!

6 Likes

Jealous! They don’t do things like that at the ATL airport 😂

4 Likes

Nope wouldn’t do it at JFK or LGA you are lucky

3 Likes

That’s awesome. I always love doing tour tours. Just today, one of our local controllers here, found my youtube channel which is cool. Making friends in the industry is the best thing you can do.

2 Likes

Sounds like a blast! Have fun!

2 Likes

Great news! Which part of it will you control? Will this be a Ground , Tower, Departure or an Approach session? 🙂

1 Like

Tyler has to give you a free pass in IFATC after that if you are not already in 😂

2 Likes

Make sure to whatcha out for the daemon of runway change. What frequency will you be doing?

1 Like

This topic is kinda misleading…

Are you doing a TOWER tour or actually controlling. I don’t know the rules in Canada but I’m pretty sure all Canadian controllers are certified by TransCanada

1 Like

Very cool let us know how hanging out with them goes!

1 Like

This is incredible! I wish I had this opportunity!

1 Like

Woah. Very cool and incredible. Enjoy !!🥳😊

2 Likes

I was contacted in the first place because I did a tour. I’m plugging in with an actual controller supervising. Chances are I won’t talk to Aircraft physically but I will be on the touchscreens moving around Aircraft and relaying info. This is what I know so far. As for Certification all ATC services are run by NavCanada (Gov agency). There are a couple of regulatory things I have to go through but otherwise I am clear to be up there

Have fun. I bet that they would never do that at my home airport (SFO).

1 Like

Thanks everyone! As for frequency I’m operating on, I do not know yet.
For reference:
Outer tower is 118.2
Inner tower 120.7
Ground is 121.8
Approach and departure are operated at YYC’s tower

1 Like

Interesting. Here in the US, you can’t even plug up with a controller. The most I’ve gotten to do is pass strips from one controller to the next

1 Like