An ATC warning if someone approaches to the wrong runway

MaxSez: “Wrong Runway”! “ATC Comm Message”! Shazam, I have a solution; its called the “Automated Terminal Information Service” (ATIS)! Reinstallation of this service will solve this and many other recurring issues!
Have a nice day Mr. @Tyler_Shelton.

5 Likes

Well, they did get some warning. They knew they weren’t established on the localizer, but they took add anyway.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that fall under the your not cleared to enter that runway command in the misc messages?🤔

1 Like

It’s the one if you entered the wrong runway in the Ground (Entering the Runway without permission/clearance)

I thought there was one for tower to

1 Like

Here is the link to join IFATC:

2 Likes

What about when you need to cross a runway?

1 Like

If someone is approaching on the wrong runway I give them a “enter straight in” for the correct one to see if they switch.

Otherwise I accommodate them. If there is a conflict I will send a go around. If not I let them land.

As a controller it is my job to manage the airspace and handle crazy things like that. I cannot just assume that everyone is going to line up for the correct parallel runway so I have to prepare for the worst. This is why sometimes I delay for the takeoff command to make sure a plane is inbound for the correct runway.

But it would be nice to have a “verify runway assignment as xx” which is more of an alert to the pilot.

8 Likes

Why not a massive siren and red lights go off in the cockpit if you are approaching the runway the wrong way. That would sort it no atc needed

1 Like

J/s - the readback alone is you confirming what instruction you were given. When I fly, I write all my information down on the ground including what to expect, where I’ll be entering, and I also look at winds to find out which runways I’m likely to be landing on. You should be familiar with your airport before you get there. After given an instruction to enter somewhere for a certain runway, I’ll pull up a ForeFlight airport diagram and draw my path in so that I know exactly what I’m doing when I get to that point. If you’re approaching the wrong end of a runway, you’re making a mistake as the pilot. If you knew how to read your heading indicator the problem would be solved. You’ll fail a checkride if you approach the runway the wrong way. The best thing you could do at an uncontrolled field if you’re farther out is to play it off as if you were entering downwind. If you can see the numbers on the runway, it’s way too late.

Your heading indicator shows you exactly what runway you’re approaching based on the direction you’re heading. If you’re flying 220 and you’re supposed to be going in for 04, (assuming you’re going straight in and there’s no downwind or base) you have a serious problem.

2 Likes

Oh how many times I would have used this on TS!

2 Likes

hmm…Interesting idea. However I think it should not be an ATC warning. IRL the aircraft has an automated voice that says for example: “Approaching Runway X” even if you’re on final. Maybe the devs could implement that. It would be a lot more realistic.

1 Like

Far from all. The function is called RAAS and is an enhancement to the EGPWS. The amount of aircraft equipped with RAAS is increasing, but far from all aircraft have it…

In many cases they can’t IRL either. Most Tower positions are non radar-equipped, which means they control mostly visually. Newer and larger airports have A-SMGCS, which simplifies low-visibility procedures.

Aircraft taking off from a taxiway has happened numerous times in the past year, and Norway has, because of that exact reason, implemented something called TLT.
TLT stands for Taxi, Line-up, Takeoff.
All departing aircraft are given a line-up clearance before a takeoff clearance. That ensures that the aircraft enters the runway instead of mistaking a taxiway for the runway…

All in all, it’s the pilot’s responsibility. The workload needed for ATC to manually check that everyone are approaching the correct runway is way too big…

2 Likes

I guess I was mistaken. Maybe the devs could implement RAAS for certain aircraft in the sim.

1 Like

Or add a isOnRunway parameter, so people like @epaga could make it. Sounds more like his turf… ;)

1 Like

Oh yeah. That would be really cool to have in the In-Flight assistant app.

1 Like

Hmmm interesting idea… Approach luckily has the commands for this. “Expected runway is closed… etc-”

But of course “what if there isn’t Approach!?”

Look it’s a fair idea but the point is once you make the mistake you learn either that or its common sense to what the ATC says. -> Look on the map. As my ATC colleague @THE-OP said all it takes it a please follow instructions :)

Very good thinking though!

1 Like

It only shows transmissions for a small period of time on crowded frequencies, this can be a problem.

1 Like

Ahem, was it necessary to bump this up, it’s been two years since this request was made… 😑

Next time, maybe take your reaplies that you want to give on a old topic to a PM insead to discuss, rather than bumping it up, thank you :)

Anyways, a mod should close this soon, before people begin to bombard this topic…

2 Likes

Didn’t pay attention to that, sorry.😆

2 Likes