An ATC warning if someone approaches to the wrong runway

Learning from my mistake in the past, I think it will be good if there’s a message that can be used for an ATC to warn an aircraft if they are approaching to the wrong runway (i.e Singapore 6 is cleared to land at 34C, but he approaches to 34L instead which is really close to Runway 34C).

Share your comments and thoughts about my idea ;)

25 Likes

Good idea. So it could be something like “Singapore 6, you are not lined up with [Insert runway here]”

4 Likes

Yup, It will be nice to warn pilots before landing into a wrong runway and disrupting the traffic, and it will be a good idea that the ATC gives Singapore 6 the correct runway

1 Like

Especially helpful on TS, so long as they actually listen to ATC. On expert I would hope that we wouldn’t need this as much, but everyone makes mistakes now and again. Good call.

4 Likes

Yup, Even if they don’t listen to it, at least they were warned that they aren’t in the right way ;)

2 Likes

I like that idea, I think it would be a great feature!

2 Likes

Speaking of wrong runways…

That really unfortunate accident because they took off from 05R instead of 05L, which claimed the lives of 83 people.

Deadly mistakes, if only the ATC could tell them they were on the wrong runway… :/

3 Likes

I just relise that’s the one crashed in Taiwan duh (Idk why I put SQ006 tho). But at least it’s still can give an illustration of what I meant

(Off Topic) As Taipei CKS (Present day Taipei Taoyuan) didn’t have a Ground Radar + The bad visibility just made this even worse and resulted of this Tragedy. A System (I forgot the system name) did remind the crew that they were in the wrong runway, But the crew didn’t see the warning and did the take off roll which ended up in a tragedy

2 Likes

That’s possibility the most useful idea I have read

4 Likes

I do hope this feature can help to reduce the traffic disruptions, Which sometimes happened in TS1 or even Expert (Rarely)

Would “please follow instructions” not accomplish this?

I’ve given that a few times with pilots lined up to the wrong runway and they switch over to the correct one without any further problems.

Don’t expect much from the training server though… that command or warning may prove to be useless.

1 Like

It do, But maybe for some people, It do makes them confused as they thought they were cleared to the wrong runway from my point of view ;)

That’s what the log is for. Takes 2 seconds to check that after getting “please follow instructions” to see what the controller is talking about.

If they can’t check the log, you got bigger problems than needing a warning…

4 Likes

Hmm, You are right actually. I can’t deny that the log can be checked if you got “Please Follow Instructions” message. Though it will be nice if they add this message imo

it would be nice for that and a few others, but the ATC commands is already packed as it is. Adding this and other commands that could be accomplished with an exsisting one would only add to the clutter. Are you IFATC btw?

1 Like

I’m not an IFATC member unfortunately. But I do hope to be one in the future ;)

1 Like

No time like the present, contact a recruiter and let’s see if you fit the bill. We need controllers! @Riley can you post the link for it?

2 Likes

MaxSez: “Wrong Runway”! “ATC Comm Message”! Shazam, I have a solution; its called the “Automated Terminal Information Service” (ATIS)! Reinstallation of this service will solve this and many other recurring issues!
Have a nice day Mr. @Tyler_Shelton.

5 Likes

Well, they did get some warning. They knew they weren’t established on the localizer, but they took add anyway.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that fall under the your not cleared to enter that runway command in the misc messages?🤔

1 Like