American MD-80 With Green Tail/Wings

My dad recently flew out of KDFW and noticed 2 MD-80s with green wings and tails. Do you know what this is. The photos are taken with an iPhone 6, and Deicing was going on.

7 Likes

It is the type of de-icing fluid they use to de-ice the planes

9 Likes

Yuck! Does it come off?

4 Likes

I am not really sure…It just prevents Ice from building up on the primary control surfaces

1 Like

While that sounds right to me. My dad says those were the only planes like that, and he was certain it was paint…

1 Like

No. It’s not paint. American has no green in there paint scheme

2 Likes

Trust me, I agree with you. It’s my dad🙄. I shall never get this across to him😂

1 Like

Looks like new parts before paint. Sometimes they will just get them in the air as fast as possible while scheduled for full paint job.

3 Likes

Let’s see if my dad agree😂

1 Like

American’s MD-80s won’t have new parts…They are retiring them

4 Likes

It’s Type 4 deicing fluid.

4 Likes

That sure looks like just bare metal with the anti-corrosive coating before a final paint job to me.

1 Like

The anti-corrosive coating is a darker green and much more consistent in colour.

4 Likes

It looks like a zombie plane

3 Likes

It’s not trust me… I have been flying since I was 6 months old… I know how planes are suppose to look.

3 Likes

That’s the final layer of the de-icing fluid. Most of it “peels” off after takeoff.

2 Likes

Here’s a good article about what’s going on. They only painted the tail and wing sections of the ‘silver’ planes there are retiring. There will be MD80s flying through the summer of 2018 according to the article. So they just repaint tail and some wing surfaces. You can see in the article some of the MD80s with only the tail painted with the new livery scheme. If it was deicing fluid, why would the logo on the back vertical still be showing. It is simply old planes that have not had their tails painted yet.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Super - like button pressed now! (if there was one)

That’s a type 4 ethelyne glycol deice fluid that prevents snow build at and yes it does peel off as the plane builds up speed. It’s not paint or anything. I see it everyday at work

Because you don’t coat a plane in deicing fluid. You only need it where there are moving parts, like the rudder and wings.