American Airlines Opts Out of Seatback TVs on 737 MAXs

American is really disappointing now. This will mean even more inconsistency in the fleet, as if things weren’t bad enough already.

6 Likes

Just another reason I love Delta 😏

10 Likes

Ugh, now I dislike them again.

5 Likes

That is utterly dreadful !

5 Likes

Not surprised, these planes are going to be used for short haul flights and because they don’t offer the best product it’s only really going to be Airlines like Qatar and Virgin America with them on all planes. I’m not sure about any others but my only experience is with Qatar which is free to use on all aircraft regardless of the flight time

5 Likes

They have Seatback TVs installed on all the new build 737-800s, so this is strange.

3 Likes

No surprise, seatback IFE is expensive. It’s a lot more complex than sticking iPads to the back to seats. The whole seatback IFE thing never caught on in the US anyway.

5 Likes

Probably because they try and charge for it from what I hear.

2 Likes

I don’t think so, BYOD entertainment is the way forward for US domestic carriers. Pretty sure it’s going to be free.

2 Likes

Well in all honesty they will get away with it because most have outdated cabins and aircraft but still people don’t usually have many better options but it’s good to have and for a good airline it is essential hence why many airlines will start to adopt it. Qatar have done this and they aren’t low cost but for Al Maha which is low cost they don’t offer any IFE systems. I’m pretty sure American is a flag carrier not a cheap low cost airline…

6 Likes

Seat backs are the best, using iPads to view IFE can be a bit annoying, stupid move by American, glad my nations biggest airline has seat backs

3 Likes

Not disappoiting at all! Think of it being more of a challenge to SWA since SWA has the exact same thing going on with there planes, Plus its saving them a lot of money from installing them

2 Likes

And AA originated A321.

2 Likes

Why are they getting away with anything? A small screen is not an accurate barometer of airline quality. I’ve flown on flights with screens and I was wishing that I was flying on the airline with no screens. It’s frankly ridiculous that people think an IFE screen automatically makes an airline good. If AA is offering streaming entertainment, they’ve done better than a lot of “flag carriers”.

4 Likes

Guys look in Europe. Take BA an equivalent in Europe as American. Seatback TV? Nope. Are flights good? Yes. It’s not the end of the world. Nor is it a reason to hate an airline. Be gratefully you have seatback TV on domestic flights. In Europe even a 5 hour flight to canaries from London won’t get you IFE. It’s not a major problem. The biggest problem is whether you get free drink 😏

4 Likes

At least if they offer streaming to device.

3 Likes

What a disappointment. Never flying American again.

4 Likes

You are mainly basing it off your personal preference though, Airlines don’t just install them for no reason and yes the better Airlines will offer this system as it means they have a better product. This is taken into account when determining the best airline for economy etc

3 Likes

And that’s why BA is not a good airline! The differentiation for BA from Low cost carriers is so small that’s you paying for the same if not worse product.

http://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/british-airways/

4 Likes

Over something like this? Thats weird… Does that mean you’ll never fly SWA?

3 Likes