American Airlines May Announce A "Super-Long-Haul" Route - Possibly Brisbane

Rumors are stirring that American Airlines is expected to announce a new long-haul route sometime during the end of January.

As reported by JonNYC (https://twitter.com/xJonNYC), the person who “leaked” American Airlines route announcements such as AUS-SJD/BOS/SJC, Krakow, Casablanca, DFW-Munich/Dublin, and many more, it looks like this week there may be an American Airlines route announcement to Brisbane (BNE).

American Airlines adding Brisbane service wouldn’t be a huge surprise as the new American Airlines/Qantas joint venture has so far launched four new transpacific routes between Oceania and the United States.

American Airlines could easily replace a few of Qantas’ Brisbane to Los Angeles frequencies allowing Qantas to free up some 787-9s to launch other destinations.

Though, when referring to “Super-Long-Haul”, I would’ve expected something like Dallas/Fort Worth to Brisbane as LAX-BNE isn’t really “super long”.

The timing of this works out pretty well. An Oceanic route like this would likely launch in October/November which will allow American about 9-10 months of bookings before the inaugural for the route. Not only that, but American Airlines’ 2019 4Q financial results release tomorrow (Thursday 1/23) so they may announce the new Brisbane route then.

We should hear by the end of this week or the next to see if this is actually true.

What do you think of this? Will American Airlines actually announce a new Brisbane route? Or is this purely a rumor…

If it isn’t Brisbane, what other “super-long-haul” route do you think American may launch?

18 Likes

Los Angeles to Brisbane is not a super long haul in my eyes. It’s 13.5 hours.

6 Likes

Exactly. Though, at 7,161 miles it would be American’s fifth longest flight right behind LAX-HKG and ahead of DFW-PEK.

DFW-BNE however would be way more “super-long-haul”

8 Likes

I think this would be a good idea on both Americans’ and Qantas’ part. Allowing American to operate a few of the weekly frequencies would allow Qantas to potentially add more capacity to Brisbane - Chicago if that route is performing well by the end of the year, or even add more European flights from Perth. A super long haul in my eyes would be, as you said in the topic, Dallas - Brisbane, as Qantas already operates Sydney - Dallas with an A380 so Brisbane must have a fair amount of demand.

4 Likes

Honestly, I think Qantas and Virgin operating three, up to four flights a day on this route using the 787 and 77W respectively is enough. Otherwise there might be oversaturation.

Guess I’m just used to the 13 hour flights being situated between continents

4 Likes

Qantas’ old 747 route used to fly DFW-BNE-SYD on the way back but I’m not sure if passengers could stop at BNE.

3 Likes

I’m really hoping American does come to bne! 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

1 Like

I would be nice if they did DFW to BNE

@MJP_27 I can’t agree more!

1 Like

Chicago to Brisbane. Now that’s a ULH :)

2 Likes

Suggestions for AA: LAX-BNE, DFW-BNE, IAH-BNE, LAS-BNE?

Haha @Mattheus

If AA was to fly to BNE, would Delta and United follow due to competition?

1 Like

At that point I think the route would become saturated. Qantas, Virgin Australia and American all operating this route is already a large amount of airlines. But then again, it’s worked in Sydney so it might work in Brisbane, you never know 🤷‍♂️

2 Likes

Adding: That’s mainly about demand. If American sees demand for their flights/routes their might be demand for other airlines as well. On the other hand an additional services means more capacity on the route and hence more competition which isn’t always attractive if demand isn’t that high.

2 Likes

LAX has a pretty good amount of competition and they got Qantas codeshares. DFW would probably be the move imo as I don’t think there currently is a route to BNE from there. I think Dallas has enough demand to make profit but they could very well hit up LAX. A little surprised they didn’t consider MEL? It’s a lot larger but I’m not an expert on Australian cities so many there’s a reason with why they went with BNE. @Ishrion excited to see you cover AA this year as CLT is the main goal for them this year (given u keep up the work).

2 Likes

I think because lots of people are wanting a connection between YBBN-KDFW (demand)

Thanks!

LAX-MEL was supposedly being considered to either compliment or partially replace Qantas’ service. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it soon given the new JV just launched a few months ago.

DFW-MEL would likely be impossible with American’s 787-9 configuration, given the route is about 17 miles shorter than Qantas’ PER-LHR. Qantas will likely pick up MEL-DFW if it happens.

At this point, practically any logical route can perform well out of DFW. The last time AA cut an international route out of DFW was to I believe Puebla, Mexico, which was about over a year ago. Since then, it’s been nonstop international growth out of DFW.

2 Likes

Houston and Las Vegas are nowhere near hub status at AA. There’s no way Houston/Las Vegas-Brisbane will be happening.

3 Likes

If anything, United could serve IAH-BNE as a response to AA/QF’s growing North American to Oceania presence.

1 Like