American Airlines Attacks Delta: Announces Partership With GOL + More Miami Flights

Following the “Delta Attacks American With Four New Destinations From Miami”, it looks like American Airlines has responded by announcing more Miami frequencies 20 minutes ago.

To start, American will begin reciprocal codesharing with GOL the largest airline in Brazil, and a former partner of Delta Air Lines. Smart move following the breakup between American and LATAM after Delta won over LATAM.

Didn’t realize this earlier, but from Onemileatatime, American and GOL used to be partners until Delta happened:

• American Airlines had a partnership with GOL until 2012
  • Delta bought a stake in GOL in 2011, causing GOL to cut ties with American
  • Then Delta dumped their stake in GOL in late 2019 after they bought a stake in LATAM, leaving GOL on the market
  • Now American and GOL will partner once again

American’s expansion in Miami and Latin America includes:

• Service to new destinations in South America not currently served by American. These flights — operated by GOL — include service to Asuncion, Paraguay, and other destinations in Brazil.
  • GOL codeshare established on American routes in the United States, paired with frequent flier earning and redemption on both airlines soon after approval.
  • An additional Miami to Rio De Janeiro (GIG) flight during the winter operated by the Boeing 787-8, which will be one of the first American 787 flights out of the Miami hub.
  • 12 new frequencies out of Miami.

Yeah… FIVE more flights to Orlando.

Also adding another Boston flight and two Raleigh/Durham flights, right up Delta’s alley.

This is pretty fun watching the two airlines attack each other… a war between the two airlines.

If this post sounds like random words, it’s 5:20 a.m. right here and I’m stuck doing homework because I procrastinated too much.

Anyways, congrats to AA and GOL on the new partnership!

22 Likes

Am I too tired, or am I reading correctly that American will have 12 daily flights from MIA-MCO? Mainline? Some of which on a 757? 😳

3 Likes

12 insane daily flights which I think all will be on mainline.

For what it’s worth, American has used the 767-300 on MIA-MCO in the past.

2 Likes

That’s insane…

1 Like

Do we know how the daily flights will be split between the aircraft?

Didn’t realize this earlier, but from Onemileatatime, American and GOL used to be partners until Delta did some fun stuff:

• American Airlines had a partnership with GOL until 2012
  • Delta bought a stake in GOL in 2011, causing GOL to cut ties with American
  • Then Delta dumped their stake in GOL in late 2019 after they bought a stake in LATAM, leaving GOL on the market
  • Now American and GOL will partner once again
1 Like

Not yet but they should be loaded over the weekend.

1 Like

Little airline hot potato…

1 Like

So I’ve been running some numbers in this. And assuming that there is an even split, which there likely won’t be, but let’s say it for speculations sake, and assuming that all the aircraft are in the latest configuration American will have 1,932 daily seats between MIA-MCO… 😳

1 Like

Sounds about right.

1 Like

Ya. And I’m almost certain that it won’t be a 4x4x4 split, but the aircraft seat wise aren’t that that different. The A319 is like 130 something, and the 757 is like 170 something, so more or less whatever they do it’s like 1,500+ so this is going to be a major route…

1 Like

In comparison, looking at a peak summer day there’s 15 daily flights between DFW and LAX

• 14 A321s
  • 1 789

Still subject to change, but this is around 2,819 seats.

1 Like

I mean that’s true, there are much bigger fish, but I’m just surprised a state domestic route (is that the term? I think you get what I mean 😂) is this big…

1 Like

Yeah, it’s truthfully probably the shortest route in AA’s network with the most capacity now.

1 Like

So is it joining OneWorld or is this seperate?

AA and GOL get together

AA and GOL break up when Delta shows up

Delta cheats on GOL with LATAM

AA and GOL are back together again!

Happily ever after in South America… while AA and Delta are beating each other’s faces in the US

6 Likes

12 summer flights KMCO-KMIA, wow, and some even with the 757. Crazy

Also happy KMIA will finally be seeing an AA 787!

Go team delta!

I’d say it’ll be unlikely as GOL currently continues to heavily partner with AF/KL.

So how come GOL is then allowed to partner with American? Like if they’re partnered with AFKLM, I would think that partnership would be exclusive. Is it because they’re relatively separate markets?