American 383 caught fire while on 28R. Chicago O'Hare.

Most definitely not, those tires and brakes had to dissipate about 2.28x10^8 joules of heat energy converted from the kinetic energy of the plane if you don’t factor in air resistance. No maintenance in the world could’ve prevented those tires from bursting from heat-related air expansion.

Check my math here:

2 Likes

The airline representative corrected the previous assumption that it was the tires. Saying it was an engine malfunction.

2 Likes

This was crazy. Apparently a rejected takeoff and the tires exploded.

@Jan I agree, getting your luggage is not smart at all, getting out is the main aim, getting your luggage in those circumstances is just plain dumb

I read this article and it was truly shocking and from the videos I have gathered the evacuation was very poorly executed by cabin crew.

From a Daily Mail article?

Seeing as they managed to collectively evacuate 161 panicking people within a short time frame with no fatalities, I’d say they’ve done their job well.

1 Like

Watch the video there weren’t any clear instructions as the crew would have been trained to do. Yes to some extent it was successful but to airline standards in terms of how they are trained it wasn’t very successful, many passengers were taking luggage and many ended up injured and apparently there was a near stampede according to passengers on board

Everyone made it out alive. And that to me shows the crew did an outstanding job.

Yeah, try telling these guys that and while at it tell that grandma to stop taking a video lol

4 Likes

The main gear are fitted with ‘fuse-able’ plugs which are designed to blow when the heat in the wheel brake pack reaches approximately 800 degrees. The idea is that the fuse releases the nitrogen in the tyre to prevent a blow out of the tyres thus risking injury in the event of a rejected take-off/high speed abort. The energy dissipated during a rejected take off is immense if conducted from a speed close to V1.

Whilst not wishing to preempt the official inquiry this looks like it could be a back end HPT failure again similar to the BA 777 in Vegas.

As to the evacuation you have to put yourself in the position of the Cabin Crew. No amount of training, no matter how realistic you attempt to make it, is going to cover the broad spectrum of panic reactions that 161 passengers are going to hold. They got them off and no-one was killed on the jet or missed in the evacuation. Messy or not the result was highly positive.

IMHO of course. :)

1 Like

Just looking at the brake cooling schedule for the 777 has, at equivalent weights but more tyres therefore greater energy dissapation, a brake energy of 34.6 Million foot pounds for a 260 tonne weight rejecting at 120 kts at sea level with OAT of 10 degrees.

Gives you an idea of the energy levels in play here.

Those two look like they have had better days lol.

3 Likes

I agree. Think they deserve a couple weeks off :)

1 Like

In other news Allegiant and spirit are now in a bidding war to acquire their first 767. Fire extinguishers cost extra.

1 Like

Nah that aircraft is never flying again. The whole starboard wing is done for. No repairing the damage that aircraft received without paying a pretty penny. It would be cheaper to just buy a retired one and get it up and running again.

2 Likes

That flight attendant getting people to back-up in the picture on the top was good thinking

2 Likes

Necroposting.