Am I doing this wrong?

Today I was flying from Cancun to Miami Florida on the expert server. I am pretty new and don’t want to assume that I was doing the right thing but I feel that I was doing well with my atc calls. After getting taxi clearance I taxied to where the line up of planes were. When I got to the line up there were about four planes ahead of me. So I decided to request frequency change. Once that happened the ground controller told me to stay on their frequency. I was like ok maybe I was too early. After awhile I was 3rd in line and I request again for a frequency change and yet again he told me to stay on the frequency and then told me to check ATC tutorials. I was getting a bit annoyed because normally I would expect to be on Tower by then. I decided to wait until I was first in line at the holding point. I was so confused why he told me to stay on his frequency. Then I decided to ask one more time to change frequency and all of a sudden he is like “You were already cleared to change frequency” even thought I am 100000% sure he said nothing. Is this regular procedure to wait till you are first in line before you contact tower? PS: I did also see him do the exact same thing to the two aircraft ahead of me.

3 Likes

When he issued a taxi clearance, he should’ve said “contact tower when ready”, so theoretically, you never had to request a change, just change yourself.

1 Like

but he told me to stay on his frequency

You only contact tower when first in line, you also do not have to request a frequency change from G to T.

2 Likes

So in this situation… The tower was probably very busy and the Ground was making it easier for the tower (By only having the next departure aircraft on the frequency)

So when you are first/second on line, then you should contact Tower (As stated in the Command “Contact Tower when Ready”)

Contact the controller (If you know who) to get exactly their term of thought.

IFATC Jack

Ahh ok. Its because most of time times previous to this experience I would be told to change frequency like “Change Frequency to Tower (whatever the number is)” when I am even still taxing so I was very confused when I was told to change when first in line.

So I decided to request frequency change.

When switching from ground to tower it is not necessary to ask for a frequency change. The command “Taxi to runway xxx, contact tower when ready” already includes your instruction/permission to contact tower.

Once that happened the ground controller told me to stay on their frequency.

Usually it is best to stay on the ground frequency until you are #1 or #2 in line. I like to switch when #2 so I can tell when the plane in front of me is about to move.

Then I decided to ask one more time to change frequency and all of a sudden he is like “You were already cleared to change frequency”

Yes there is confusion here as you were instructed to contact tower when ready but then they said to stay on their frequency. Chalk it up to confusion.

Bottom line, stay on ground until #1 or #2 and then switch to tower without requesting. Do not ask for take off until #1 though.

3 Likes

Thanks! I will make sure to keep that in mind next time. And normally when I get on tower I usually wait until I am first in line.

2 Likes

No problem. That is what the forum is for. You have a large community that can help!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.