Am I allowed to execute missed approach for this situation?

Am I allowed to execute a missed approach if I’m at 4000ft (assuming the airport is at 0ft elevation) at the end of the ILS cone and have no confidence about making a smooth landing without nosediving?

Reason being when approach clear me for ILS at 4000 or 4500ft I have to reduce my aircraft’s speed to 130kts to allow it to initially ‘‘stall’’ as it’s above the glidescope else I have to nosedive to be on the glidescope.

You can execute a missed approach at any time if you don’t feel comfortable with making the landing. The controller will have to accommodate you.

16 Likes

Pitch for speed, power for altitude

You can also try a forward slip to help get you down.

1 Like

Good day,

Both are correct and to help further, a Missed approach can and should be used if the needle ever deflects full down, up, left or right after you have completed the intercept of the localizer. This is your safety point, so long as they aren’t fully deflected, you have a great chance of making a safe and effective landing.

Hope that help and happy flying,
Adam

2 Likes

Well, conducting a missed approach is your decision as pilot in command. The role of ATC would be to accommodate you within the airspace.

In your case, when I find myself higher than the glide slope by a big margin, I engage the flight spoilers, leave the flaps the way they are and descend gradually till I’m properly on the glide slope. It won’t take long. Then I continue with my approach as normal. Slowing down, spoilers armed, gear down etc.

2 Likes

That’s what I had to do to reduce my speed to near stall, it looks like my plane is falling and sometimes when I forget to turn on A/P to throttle up I get the stall warning.

Not only altitude issues, I have problems with alignment with the runway centreline too.

I haven’t execute a missed approach before hence I created this topic to clarify.

In your case, I would engage the autothrottle then the flightspoilers are there to increase your descent rate. Once on the glideslope, set spoilers to armed and continue with your normal approach procedures.

For the localizer alignment, make very small corrections using either the rudder or the ailerons or both.

You can see the video below for an ILS approach tutorial:

Happy landings,
Kiz

2 Likes

Glideslope capture from above is what you need to do!

Select 1000’ above the airfield altitude (you NEVER want to set 0 as your target altitude!!!)
Select V/S as necessary to capture the slope, a guide is that a 3 degree slope is half your ground speed plus a ‘0’ so 220kts G/S gives you 110 plus the ‘0’ which gives 1100fpm for a 3 degree slope.

To capture from above double it, 2200fpm (although you should be back at 160-180kts at 4000’) and pull the speed brake to control the speed.

Job done.

8 Likes

My plane will nosedive at -1100fpm at 160-180kts. I don’t want that to happen.

Then you are configured completely wrong for glide slope capture I’m afraid!!!

160-180 kts F5/15 for Boeing or F1/F2 for Airbus. Any quicker than that and you’ll find it tricky to keep the slope and slow down to landing speed.

It’s not a ‘nosedive’ but a quicker descent to capture the glideslope!

8 Likes

I love Yaun’s reply’s always very informative. This guy knows what he’s talking about.

2 Likes

Thanks but I may have confused the OP by not ascertaining what aircraft he’s using!

The basic principle is the same by using double the 3 degree V/S but the example.I gave was for a heavy! Obviously if you’re in a Cessna 172 at 80 it’s then the given figures wouldn’t work.

The.principle does however so 80kts gives 400fpm for 3 degrees, double that to 800fpm for the capture.

HTH

Commercial aircrafts. I don’t fly GAs.

Go around s are any time you don’t feel right, no one is ever going to fult you for keeping your aircraft safe, and I suppose a greeser is important too…

Is this appropriate?

https://youtu.be/vqFTD-Bqwl8

You are allowed to execute a missed approach anytime you need to

True, but I feel that there’re few IFATC members who don’t understand why I needed to do a missed approach especially if they didn’t notice my altitude is too high then I’ll be faulted and ghosted. But I know that it can be reversed if I can justify my actions.

1 Like

Set yourself up better for the approach interception better then.

250 below 10,000. Slow to 220 within 25 nm of the landing airport (simulating entering the TMA for example). When turning towards the localiser at approx 15nm (4500 ft or below) start slowing to 180 kts, intercept the localiser, don’t forget to anticipate the turn on.

Try to come onto the ILS glide slope from below if possible, slow up and dirty up to be stable (on the g/s, loc in landing config and landing speed) by approx 5nm.

Conduct a perfect landing.

If you are coming in too high or too fast you will struggle to control the speed or stay on the approach.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I try to do all of that but still I have to listen to ATC. If they ask me to descend to 9000ft while I’m still at FL 180 of course it would be challenging for me to descend quickly because there’s a 9000ft interval and I don’t want to nosedive my aircraft at -2000fpm.

Or considering worse case scenario if they clear my for ILS approach at 4500ft when I’m at 12nm then it’s going to be difficult for me to stay on the glidescope like you said approx 15nm I should be 4500ft and below.

At least my question has been answered. This is additional discussion, are the mods going to close this?

Haha, you do make me chuckle. If you are at 4500ft at 12 miles you’ve messed up the approach! Request vectors or, if ATC clear you for the approach then request more track miles.

Otherwise, if you’re correctly configured then capture the glide slope from above. It really isn’t difficult.

For info, descending at 2000fpm with full speed brake extended isn’t a problem in a heavy. IRL I might ask for free speed but I don’t believe that’s an option in IF. If you’re too high then say so and ask for another approach slot.

Blasting your way to the IAF too high and too fast then complaining you can’t comply is your problem. ;)

7 Likes

This discussion should really be a function of your distance from the airport, but in general, If we’re descending you from FL180 to 9000, we’re not looking for you to crash dive to get there. Be aware however, if your rate of descent is very slow, we will more than likely put you in a hold, or give you a vector that accounts for the slow descent.

3 Likes