Altitudes based on direction/heading

Hello, on the expert server I can see some people flying at incorrect altitudes. This topic may get shut down but I hope some people can view it as an reminder.

When you are going at a Westernly heading you go at even altitudes (Ex: FL280, FL300, FL320, etc.)

When you are going at an Easterly heading you will go at odd altitudes (Ex: FL270, FL290, FL310, etc.)

I Just wanted to say this to avoid mid-air collisions and to promote realism.

Stay safe and wash your hands!

14 Likes

Good reminder!

2 Likes

Hey,
I just have a little question… just to be sure, FL300 means Flight Level 30000ft?

4 Likes

@Kiady welcome to the community and yes FL300 is 30,000 feet

4 Likes

Thanks, need people to know this

Saw someone at an incorrect one here is a reminder

Unfortunately not everyone in the game is in the ifc and there’s not much we can do to promote realism as far as enforcing the current rules of ES

1 Like

No need to bump your topic. In aviation there are a ton of procedures that simply you cannot apply to a simulator. Some pilots fly more by the book than others. The freedom of Infinite Flight is that you have the option.

Usually if a plan is generated using an online planner it will give the correct cruising altitude.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m sure this proves helpful for a lot of pilots on IFC…

3 Likes

If you are seeing these incorrect altitudes over the Atlantic - this is not uncommon.

In both directions you can fly at any altitude normally between FL320 (32000ft) and FL400-410 (40000/41000ft)

@BennyBoy. MaxSez: Au Contraire my cyber friend! Atlantic Track Altitudes are assigned by E/W oceanic centers upon check-in on their prearranged time slot;

“Prior to departure, the aircraft will then contact the Oceanic Center controller (Gander or Shendwich) before entering oceanic airspace and request the track giving the estimated time of arrival at the entry point. The Oceanic Controllers then calculate the required separation distances between aircraft and issue clearances to the pilots. It may be that the track is not available at that altitude or time so an alternative track or altitude will be assigned. Aircraft cannot change the assigned course or altitude without permission.

If an aircraft can no longer maintain the speed or altitude it was assigned, the aircraft can move off the track route and fly parallel to its track, but well away from other aircraft. Pilots on North Atlantic Tracks are required to inform air traffic control of any deviations in altitude or speed caused by avoiding weather, such as thunderstorms or turbulence. On a busy day, aircraft are spaced approximately 10 minutes apart.”
(Source: Gander ATC Authority )
MaxSends

(The E/W Altitude Separation Rule applies WW (ICAO)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.