ALS: That big flashing Red Arrow pointing to the Threshold! (Revised)

MaxSez: There’s nothing more welcome and comforting than a flashing ALS on a Cat-II+ ILS Approach than that long flashing red threshold pointer the "Approach Landing System (ALS). Sure would be nice if the Runway Team added ALS to the Runway build outs at the most utilized “B’s” like LAX, JFK ect. It’s a good thing!

20 Likes

cant find a pic for it

I believe you are referring to the runway approach lights. The ones that flash in the direction of the runway. Am I correct?

2 Likes

@R_Jordanian MaxSez: Google “Approach Landings System Design Guide”
PDF by Exel Composits & pic’s by type. Regards

Regards, Chambers Sends

8 Likes

MaxSez: no Nick the correct nomenclature is ALS, Google it.

2 Likes

Too bad that it doesn’t render :( It’ll be useful for low visibility approaches…

1 Like

You could use the “approach lights” at 29 palms.

2 Likes

@Narroc_Wim… MaxSez… 29 Stumps Does not have a standard ICAO approved ALS system. You’ll note the Aircraft carrier Deck painted on the Rwy. This military expeditionary field is co-located with a major MAGTF training area. The "Deck. Is used primerrally for pre-carrier deployment training for squadrons deploying to a CAG. Aerial Imagery of the field will clearly show and arresting gear cables and associated equipment installed either side/across the long Rwy at the threshold. Stump Approach lighting systems duplicate the approach lighting system employed by all US Carriers. They consist of SALFS (Short Approach Landing System & the OLS (Optical landing system/Fresnel lens). (See AirNav.com KNXP for field data & Wiki for USMC Expeditionary Runway/Field). The ALS system highlighted in my topic are standardized and certified by ICAO. 29 Stump systems are not ICAO certified but military/DOD developed and associated normally. Regards.

2 Likes

I know. There is a glitch there that makes the centerline go past the runway.

3 Likes

And for night approaches. The starless nights on IF would certainly be more interesting with this ALS.

1 Like

@Swordfish… MaxSez: Been beating that stinking night node about the head and shoulders for years on the Forum. I’ve been giving IF nite flight node a PPP Awards continually. Enough of the Trash Hauler Builds, a little attention to Nav architecture, Met conditions, Improved Pilot Comm Responses plus Rebuilds of the Non-Trash Hauling Hanger Queens etc. just sayin.

6 Likes

Amen to that.

1 Like

I agree @Maxmustang I think this would make a great feature into the sim would help people out like the tower controller could select which runways for landing and turn on the ALS for that runway to indicate landing

1 Like

Already implemented in the airport data from IFAE.
I saw the chart above for landing systems, this is what they look like in X-Plane:

3 Likes

I literally would be bouncing off the walls in excitement if these got added haha

3 Likes

I agree with @Maxmustang, the big jets can wait, night landing systems are needed, alongside many other things.

4 Likes

Well @Maxmustang don’t worry we are in the same boat!

2 Likes

MaxSez; Revised, Not a Dup. (A reminder to the RWay Builders)

4 Likes