Alps & Afterburners | Swiss Hornets @ Meiringen Air Base

HELLO COMMUNITY!

Imagine a sleepy airstrip with a single, 6800 foot runway and less than 20 daily departures - the vast majority of which were one single type of aircraft. That sounds pretty boring, doesn’t it? What if I told you it was set on the outskirts of the Swiss Alps between two mile high peaks and that traffic generally consists of Swiss Air Force Legacy Hornets?

Welcome to Meiringen Air Base, located in the middle of a deep valley somewhere between Meiringen and Interlaken in the heart of Switzerland. During certain months, the Swiss Air Force conducts exercises from 8 AM - 12 PM, 1:30 PM - 5:00 PM, and sometimes 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM. The best part of it is that spotting at the base is relatively easy since the military police are friendly and the perimeter fence is less than five feet tall. You can even walk or drive across the runway while it’s not in use.

Gear: Sony α7iii + 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS

Shoutout to @Altaria55, @Kamryn, and @Transport_Hub for going on this trip with me.

Full send from this one into the foggy Swiss morning. Plenty more content to come, but I’d be happy if this was the only photo I came back with.

Golden lighting as the morning group gets underway.

Showcasing the scenery a little bit - it’s just as if not more fundamental to the shots here as the planes are.

Returning from the morning exercise with a beautiful cloud layer in the back.

Zooming past some trees on very short final.

When the planes return they park them in a hangar buried beneath the south mountain. When they go out to fly again they taxi across the perimeter road which allows you to get extremely close.

Afternoon group going out to do some weapons testing.

You are breaking the speed limit.

Night group (once a week) going out spitting fire.

Special livery headed out following his buddy from the previous photo.

This was my second time military spotting, but now I’m worried that I won’t be able to military spot anywhere and be satisfied it knowing this place exists. It’s kind of like military Innsbruck in that way, but we’ll get there later (wink wink). Switzerland spotters, I envy you and hopefully I’ll be back someday.

Check out my Instagram for more content: Andrew (@atis.alpha) • Instagram photos and videos

54 Likes

Wait what? Where are you? Come say me hello 👀

So stunning photos 😍

I’m back in the states now lol

noooooooooooooooooo 😭

The weather this week is atrocious anyways haha

not at all, it was sunny until yesterday and now, it’s foggy but nothing rain, I will probably go spotting

Well up in the eastern part it is, maybe Geneva is different (although when I went it was very cloudy and quite wet).

cloud but not rain 😏

We got rained on spotting in Geneva on Wednesday.

“Rained on” it was like five minutes

If you told me, I was able to come 😂

Shame that @Kamryn gave me the details about this trip but simply didn’t pay for my flight tickets or hotels. What a selfish scumbag.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s so incredibly rude of him. If you would’ve asked me I would’ve paid in full because I’m not selfish 😤.

3 Likes

Ooh, it’s great to see some Switzerland on the IFC!

2 Likes

We love Switzerland! Would like to return someday but it is very expensive lol

1 Like

Absolutely amazing photos

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Must have gotten a level 3 violation then :P

1 Like

Damn, what a selfish person this Kamryn person is.🧍‍♂️🙏

imagine having the ability to get high quality low-light pans

2 Likes

Andrew with the Swiss heat 😳