AlaskaAirFan's ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @ N/A

Hey everyone! This is my tracking thread to became IFATC. I have not applied yet, but hopefully will in the coming days/weeks. My ATIS is below, and all feedback is welcome! Thanks!

ATIS:
Runways in use: N/A
Winds: N/A
Visibility: N/A
Remarks/NOTAMS: Feel free to stop by and give feedback!

6 Likes

Awesome, tag me when you open!

1 Like

I should be opening pretty soon, just trying to find a good airport to open. Do you think something like KMCI or KEUG would work well?

Now OPEN at KMCI!

ATIS:
Runways in use: 19L, 19R
Winds: 190@07
Visibility: 10SM
Remarks/NOTAMS: Feel free to stop by and give feedback! I will try my best, as this is my first time controlling with a tracking thread lol.

Tags: @JetSuperior5192

Coming now :)

1 Like

Lol, I panicked and forgot what to do for transitions

Don’t worry! I’ll explain later on feedback :)

1 Like

So I can go ahead and clear you for landing since I don’t have anyone else in the pattern right?

That’s correct, but you should clear me for the option since I’ll be doing touch and goes.
Just do what you feel it’s right and then I can correct it :)

1 Like

Winds are now 190@07 with 10SM of visibility

Now closed! A big thank you to @nicopizarro and @Andres for joining me today!

Feedback [N420AB]

Ground

__

[02:41:45]: Some aircrafts in game aren’t be able to pushback, The A-10 in one of them, so innecessary pushback for me, even though I requested, you can issue “Taxi to Rwy XXX”

[02:43:47]: Good anticipate instruction to cross the runway

Tower

[02:34:48 - 02:45:43]: Good instructions, try to mix them up, it’ll decrease your workload

[02:52:30]: Good pattern entry, but no efficient when we’re talking about maintaining your pattern consistent.

[02:58:33]: Late exit command, at 35 kts the aim point is 70kts, check 3.5 Exit Runway / Go-Around | Infinite Flight for more information!

To be one of your first sessions you are doing quite well, keep it up!, tag me if you need it, hope to see you at the team soon!

1 Like

Hello!
Thank you for the service. I was CC-NPR and I have some feedback and advice for you.

(See below for advice regarding each situation)

• [02:19:08z] - Transition altitude for CC-NPR was high.
  • [02:24:13z] - Late clearance for CC-NPR.
  • [02:45:35z] - Missed the sequence on N420AB’s pattern entry.
  • [02:52:16z] - Upwind conflict resolution.
  • [02:53:23z] - No sequence for CC-NPR before clearance.
  • [02:54:26z] - Unnecessary “extend downwind” for CC-NPR.
  • [02:58:33z] - Late runway exit instruction for N420AB. (35kts)
  • [02:59:34z] - Late Go-Around for CC-NPR.

Advice:

• To calculate the transition altitude, you should add 2,500ft to the airport elevation and round up to the nearest 500ft altitude. The 2,500ft reason: 1,500ft for maximum pattern altitude (jets) + 1,000ft for vertical separation. In this case, the airport altitude was 1,000ft, so the correct transition altitude would have been 3,500ft, and not 4,500ft.

• We usually try to give clearances -traffic permitting- on crosswind or early downwind. The other clearances were on point, so this looks like an isolated issue.

• Although your sequencing was on point, remember that you should add the sequence to the pattern entry when possible. This will reduce your workload and make it easier for the pilot to follow the sequence.

• Whenever you face an upwind conflict (parallel runways), where you have two aircrafts on upwind with one of them requesting change to the other runway, follow these steps to solve it with the most effective method:

Runway Change on Upwind Conflict

• Always remember to provide a sequence to the pilot before clearance (when suitable), since the number chosen on the clearance does not serve as a sequence like it does on a pattern entry.

• The use of “Extend Downwind” should be limited to critical situations where separation could be lost if the controller does not act. You should always rely on your sequencing, once you’ve given the pilot their sequence, trust that they will follow it with proper spacing and speeds.

• As a rule of thumb, we try to give the exit runway instructions between 70-60 knots for jets, and 40-30 knots for General Aviation. Always try to do this on time, but make sure to focus on critical situations instead if the need presents itself.

• Airspace awareness is a must for all controllers. This becomes even more important when the runway separation is in game; always double check the status of the runway to make sure the separation described in section 3.1 of the manual is present; and if it’s not, take action. Although you caught the G/A, it was late.

Solid Points:
Pattern Entries
Clearances
Runway Changes
Sequencing

Very nice first session, really good stuff. Looking forward to see improvements in the items listed above and to work with more aircrafts to practice sequencing and multiple runway changes.

Since it’s your first session, feel free to check this guide as a complement to the ATC Manual:

Let me know if you have any doubts here or by sending me a PM, I’ll be happy to help.
Cheers,
Nico

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Andres!

I couldn’t remember if the A-10 pushed back or not lol.

What do you mean by mix them up?

Should I have extended your upwind before turning you to crosswind to get you behind CC-NPR?

I wasn’t sure if you were landing full stop or not. I suppose since you never sped up I should have realized, haha.

After you select a pattern entry, It’ll instantly show you “Send” or “Sequencing” if you select the second one, you can mix a command, so in this case, my “mixed” command had been “N420AB, enter right downwind, number 2 traffic to follow in on right downwind”

Noup, you could issue to me “Extend upwind…” and then to CC-NPR since he was Number 1, You should cleared him, He’d turn to crosswind , after that, sequence me as Number 2 and cleared me, with the sequence, I’ll follow him and you’ll have your consistent pattern, you won’t need to issue me “Turn crosswind” since sequence already authorized me to do so.

This is ok, no worries, check this “Pro-Tip” on the manual

1 Like

Thank you for the advice! I have just a few questions (I will number according to the way you put them in your post)

1. I was thinking of the airport elevation+1500+1000 for IFR separation, but I forgot that I didn’t need the 1,000 because there was no one else, correct?

2. I wasn’t sure exactly when I should be issuing clearances.

3. I realized that right after I sent it haha.

4. I just remembered that “extend upwind” is a command lol

5. Should I have said, “enter left downwind, runway 19L, number 2”?

6. I should have trusted y’all and my sequencing, right?

7. I wasn’t completely sure if they were exiting or not, but I guess I should have realized that when they didn’t speed up again.

8. I had realized I needed a go around beforehand, but I couldn’t find the command. Then I realized I was looking at N420AB’s commands page lol.

Would you mind if I tagged you in my future sessions?

1. Got it now, I had missed that command before.

2. So sequencing should take care of most turns in the pattern?

3. Thanks for the tip!

Remember that, we’re aircrafts remaining in the pattern so we’re aircrafts in VFR conditions, which means that we ourselves are in charge of our separation, there are quite a few “restrictions” in this, so I recommend that you read the manual in case you want to know more about how VFR conditions work in IF.

1 Like

Not really. Since the airport elevation is 1,000ft, you just need to add 2,500ft and round up to the nearest 500ft. The 2,500ft altitude does not change depending if there’s any aircraft in the pattern.

I always say that the sooner the better. I usually wait until crosswind or if there are aircrafts near the pilot that may mess your sequence, right on upwind. For pattern entries, it’s perfectly fine to add it instead of having to send a separate message for the sequence alone.+

I’m not sure to which situation are you referring to on this one. Is it the upwind conflict?

Exactly, always rely on your sequence. This does not mean you should trust 100% on pilots, so you should stay pending to the aircraft speed and intentions that may mess up your spacing.

Sure! I’ll come if I’m free.

1 Like

When I didn’t give you a sequence. This was when I put N420AB on right downwind 19L and you on left downwind 19L. I had N420AB number 1, so I wasn’t sure what to say. Would the “enter left downwind, runway 19L, number 2” command or the “follow aircraft on right downwind, number 2” command be better, or am I just completely off lol. It happened at 02:53:23z