Alaska and Oneworld?

Alaska and Oneworld?

<><><><><><><><><><>

What’s Going On?

Today, Alaska Airlines has officially been offered to become the next member of Oneworld.

Over the past few months, Alaska has publicly shared that they would be interested in joining, however a crucial step has been missing: an official invitation to the frequent flyer alliance.

Now, with an invitation in hand, the Seattle based carrier is officially a “Oneworld member-elect” and may be the alliance’s 14th member assuming Alaska’s CEO, Brad Tilden, gets his way.

Impact and Effects

A Oneworld membership will be boon for Alaska and its customers. For the airline itself, offering sales on a global route map will be beyond lucrative corporate customers. This will allow it to better compete with Airlines such as Delta which maintains a hub in Alaska’s hometown of Seattle as well as United which dominates San Francisco (SFO), where Alaska acquired a hub after its merger with Virgin America back in 2016.

My Thoughts

If I said that I didn’t see this coming, I’d be lying.

At some point this was bound to happen, especially since news broke of Alaska wanting in back in February. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a deal is reached by the end of 2020, beginning of 2021.

I feel that such a partnership would be beyond beneficial for Alaska and fellow Oneworld members, however would cause issues for major airlines such as Delta and United.

31 Likes

American + JetBlue + Alaska sounds wicked

13 Likes

I love this. Always been a fan of Alaska, especially their livery. Really hope a Oneworld Alaska livery is made

4 Likes

Pretty sure all full Oneworld members are required to have a few aircraft with the main Oneworld logo and they have to have the small Oneworld sticker on every aircraft.

7 Likes

You are correct @Ishrion!

1 Like

Southwest has to love (pardon the pun) the fact that now there will be a One World partner at Love Field after trying to fight AA for years.

12 Likes

Agreed. I’m super curious to see what jetBlue does and whether the CEO considers the idea of joining an alliance, if invited.

I love your use of boon, great word choice. It’s an old word most don’t use anymore.

1 Like

Interesting, I knew it was coming so it’s not that big of a surprise but still going to be odd seeing Star Alliance not the main one at SFO anymore. Of course they will always be the largest there because of United, but with American and Alaska expanding their presence, plus jetBlue adding new daily flights to Newark and Orlando, they’ll be growing pretty rapidly…

2 Likes

American sitting in the dark corner

2 Likes

Thank you :)

1 Like

It’s all dependent on how the aviation industry picks up post COVID-19. It’s really hard to tell at the moment, especially with airlines coming in and out of locations.

just imagine… a special one-world livery with Alaska

Maybe someone should create one here :)

1 Like

They will be staying at SFO and LAX for the near future, it was one of the terms for their merger with Virgin America.

Some concepts:

Ironically, the second picture was made as an April Fools prank in 2015: https://asflyer.blogspot.com/2015/04/alaska-airlines-to-join-oneworld.html

7 Likes

I can’t wait! All they need to do now is move their hub out of the war zone that is Seattle. It will be perfect then.

1 Like

Move it to anchorage, so it can finally be called Alaska and not Washington.

4 Likes

Hmmm. Interesting concepts for all. We’ll see :)

Please no, not our beloved jetBlue.

On the contrary, I think eventually they’ll have to join some sort of alliance, if they want a long future, be it with OW, ST or SA.

1 Like