Airways?

What are the airways ment for on the map?

Airways are routes followed while cruising (in real world).

3 Likes

Ah okay i get it

Think of it like a road, just in the air. Normally a flight follow a FPL from waypoint - airway - waypoint - airway - waypoint - airway etc. You can look at the waypoints as an intersection to change airway.

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Oh ok thanks aernout

Aren’t there such thing as high airways and low airways for VFR flying?

No no, I mean airways. The ones that have names? Like J165 or V328, J means high airway and V means low airway, maybe the other way around. Anyone that actually plays VATSIM would know better than me.

Yeah! That’s the website VATSIM sends you when you train to become an ATC. I’m trying to learn some stuff there right now.

Yeah i’m training for ZHU ARTCC just for fun. Seeing how it goes, my main goal is to gain some more insight on controlling. Obviously there is more to think about when controlling in VATSIM than in Infinite Flight so hopefully I can improve my skills a little.

Look at this, part of a FPL into London Heathrow:

1 Like

Airways make it easier to file flight plans as well. As @Aernout posted on the flight plan into Heathrow you can see points in between the airways (UP193 for example). Think of these points as offramp and/or on ramps onto the airways. REVDA UP193 URELA means you’re joining Upper Papa 193 airway from point REVDA until point URELA. There could be 10 other points on that airway in between those two points. It can also help ATC if they have to re-route planes. It’s much easier to clear them an airway from one point to another than to read off every individual point. This also helps with potential errors. In the airplanes Flight Management System (FMS) you could have two points that are very close in name but on different sides of the globe. Accidentally type in the wrong point and you end up turning towards Canada at some point.

1 Like

Do operators in Europe file flight plans with SID’s and STAR’s already included? I know they do in the USA :)

Yes you can see LAM3A that is the star.

@Sean_Anthony_99… The intersecting black lines you note on the IF Chart are “Victor” Airways ( designate V### on a chart) There FAA regulated and span the continent. They routinely connnect and intersect at a NavAid. The only thing missing from the IF Victor’s are the associated numeral identification. Victors are limited to below 180AGL. Down load a Sectional Or WAC Chart of one of IF’s Regions it will all come together. AirNav is a must know topic as an aviator. Suggest you go one step further and check out Jet Ways ( designated J### on a Chart) VFR Corridor (designated VFR w/dotted line) in Restricted Airspace (Color coded on Chart) etc. One never stops learning as an aviator no matter how old or experienced you are. Listen and learn, Trust but Verify! See a term you don’t recognize Google it .Max Sends

2 Likes

Awesome info Mr Max!

1 Like