Airspeed to Mach Selector

Hey community! Back again in the features category. So I can’t really find a picture, but I’m gonna describe as best I can.

Basically, there’s a little selector on most aircraft that changes the autopilot speed hold from displaying IAS to Mach, and then back again when you switch it. Basically, instead of having to continually adjust your speed on climb, you could swap over and then climb at say Mach 0.71, and then cruise at .82, not having to wait for it to auto change like it does in IF.

Sorry for the bad explanation, I can try and clear it up if you need.

I think switching automatically from speed-mach increases realism, because at the altitude it changes from speed to mach in sim is also the altitude pilots start referring to their speed in mach IRL.

3 Likes

True true. But the switch does exist in Real aircraft (like the md-80 and the 737 I know for sure) and if you’re cruising at FL220 swapping to Mach is very common.

Yea, I know on the buses they have them too, I wouldn’t mind this being added.

1 Like

You can already see both at the same time.

2 Likes

Yes, but I think he’s more interested in setting AP for MACH than knowing current MACH.

2 Likes

That’s exactly it. It’s so you can set AP to hold you at Mach, which is useful while climbing

1 Like

Nice idea but I beg to differ. The Mach system on IF activates at FL280. This is because it is easy to maintain ground speed.
For example I am at Mach 0.86 at GS500KTS, if I activate it above 20000 ft it makes sense and more realistic but if I set mach spd at 5000ft it wouldn’t make sense.

#Conclusion
I think this is a very nice idea and with a system introduced to permit use of mach spd above FL200, this should promote some impeccable realism.

2 Likes

MaxSez: Mach, Smock! Never flight planned utilizing Mach speed to compute Fuel loading or devertions requirement etc. Mach has a great sound verbally and look neat on the speed tape, but for IF nav it got to be converted and you get lotsa .00000+. KISS and use ground speed as depicted on the HUD, no switch required.

3 Likes