Hi IFC, with the knowledge of myself and other members of the community I have created a list comprising of airspace restrictions that commercial aircraft are to abide by. This list is aimed at those members who are looking for a more realistic Infinite Flight experience. Feel free to add to this list in the comments section if you would like to.
List of airspace restrictions:
- Airlines such as Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Qantas, China Airlines, Lufthansa and Malaysia Airlines are currently avoiding Iranian airspace, though these carriers may seek to fly over in certain situations.
- Chinese Airspace mandates that flights be at altitudes that are by the 100s (ie: 34,100 instead of just 34,000).
- Airlines are restricted from flying over Eastern Ukraine.
- Qatar Airways is permitted to fly routes comprising of the Persian gulf. The airline is prohibited from flying within the vicinity of certain neighbouring middle eastern countries.
- Countries that have banned both direct flights and overflying traffic to/from Israel include Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brunei, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia (this remains unclear at this given time), Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia and Yemen. Exceptions include Air India granted permission to use Saudi Arabian Airspace for Israeli flights and Ethiopian Airlines granted permission to use Sudanese Airspace for Israeli flights.
- All commercial aircraft should avoid North Korean airspace (For flights that don’t come from/to North Korean airports).
- Flights are advised to remain at 33,000 feet or higher over Afghanistan.
- Aircraft are avoiding passing above the Himalayas due to high terrains - In some cases this may be excused.
- All Avianca flights are not permitted to enter Venezuelan airspace.
- Russia usually restricts concessions to fly over its territory to one airline per country. There are some exceptions, such as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, which are both registered in Britain.
- When flying through the African continent, Tripoli airspace (all of Libya) is prohibited.
- Certain airlines cannot fly through Russian airspace due to specialized codes and access grants that the Russian gov’t gives out.
- Nearly all airline operators are currently avoiding flying over Syria.
- Aircraft are prohibited from flying over Mecca as its center of gravity naturally attracts magnetic charges to its location.
- Russian airlines are not permitted to fly within the vicinity of Ukrainian airspace, with the exception of Crimea.