Airports showing up behind mountains

As I was flying out of KVCV on a return service for New Zealand 777-300ER I noticed that airports were seen through mountains. I don’t know if anyone has had the same experience and hope that it can be fixed in the future.

2 Likes

You’re not alone. For the time this is a consequence of IF’s rendering, which I would assume saves resources because of not needing to check whether airport is behind terrain

4 Likes

Yes! I have found this issue in many airports with terrain close to the runway. For example, TFFJ.

3 Likes

Hmm I wonder what that means?

Interesting I thought maybe it was a setting.

1 Like

Ya first time I went into that airport during an IFATC event (years ago) and I might have flown right into the hill because I wasn’t familiar with the airport and didn’t know (till that moment) that airports can be seen through terrain. 😑

3 Likes

What I assume happens is that the game doesn’t need to check whether airport is behind terrain which means the game doesn’t need to check the whole line of sight for potential obstructions. On a PC sim this would have been a no-brainer, as with that much RAM it won’t make a big hit, but on low-end devices, which IF needs to support, every MB of RAM counts, and making 2 a bit different rendering mechanics for low and medium/high graphic settings just was a waste of resources compared to other stuff.
But that’s just my thoughts, take it with a grain of salt

3 Likes

That’s interesting I don’t know the difference between this stuff. ;)

Yeah, it seems like simillar things at first when you look at the fact that terrain doesn’t glitch out through other terrain, but there’s a difference between terrain rendering (heightmap and a texture on top) and complicated geometric airports with different type of textures which are layered on top of them

1 Like

I have seen that when I land into Burbank, California

1 Like
3 Likes