Airport in sight button not showing up

Hey all,
I was currently approaching Santos Dumont and Approach told me to report airport in sight. But the button wasn’t showing up in the menu. I also requested a frequency change because I didn’t know what else to do, and I thought maybe he would understand but he said again: Report airport in sight. This is very frustrating as I needed to end the flight because I didn’t want to get reported. Is there any message you need to receive from ATC so the button is visible? Or is it a bug in the frequency? Some help about this would be great.

It should be there regardless if ATC asks you to report ATC in sight, should be #10 or #11 if I’m not mistaken (I’ll check that right now). Don’t think I’ve had any issues with it in the past.

1 Like

Did the flight end? or what did you do?

No I ended it because I couldn’t do what ATC told so I couldn’t land because ATC would never hand me over to tower.

1 Like

Don’t you have to be on Tower frequency for the button to show? Correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

Understandable ok i will leave this to the people who actuallly know what is going on and try and help you

1 Like

You need to report airport in sight to be cleared for a visual approach. I think

1 Like

No you can be in approcach also i believe

1 Like

Report Airport in Sight is only available on Radar frequencies.

After further investigation, there is no RAIS button on SBRJ approach. Don’t ask me why, because I have no idea.

6 Likes

But why did ATC tell me to do it then?

2 Likes

Probably didn’t know. All airports have a RIAS so this is probably a bug you just found.

1 Like

Okay thank you

1 Like

I’ve just tried it on a different airport and it works normally…we as controllers don’t see what pilots see, and RAIS is a procedure as defined by the IFATC manual. I’d wait for some clarification, either from a moderator or the controller itself (@Davide_DC).

3 Likes

Okay thank you for your help

1 Like

The alternative is to do a GPS, I don’t believe the airport you’re landing at has ILS correct me if I’m wrong.

Nope, only GPS and Visual

1 Like

Most, if not all approaches at SBRJ are a visual. It’s similar to the Canarsie at JFK.

2 Likes

Yea that’s what I was thinking.

1 Like

Hmm, i had that button and used it.

1 Like

Yea, I noticed. @Thunderbolt, seems like it was only you and him with the problem, I could RAIS along with everyone else I cleared today on radar