Airport Experiences

Welp…

I’m over in South Africa, stuck in Johannesburg. I came from Cape Town and our flight was delayed, and that created a butterfly effect. Long story short, we missed our flight. We attempted rebooking, but the ticketing agent desk had a notoriously long line, and we were counted as no-shows. Not only are the tickets useless now, but a new ticket will take twice the amount of the original. As I post this, we are running on a very low amount of money, sleeping in the Airport. Budget airlines are great, aren’t they? :|

It was then I came up with this idea to create a post where others could share their airport experiences, good or bad. I hope yours is good, but I’m open to terrible trips as well. Feel free to let it all out, I certainly feel like doing so!

I searched, couldn’t find a post like this, but with my luck there probably is one. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

4 Likes

Hi!
This post looks very simular to this: Share your bad flight experiences here!

3 Likes

You can also share bad flight experiences here, but this isnt Flight Experiences, This is airport experiences.

9 Likes

One time in Harare airport Zimbabwe there was a giant spider on my back. Not good.

2 Likes

My intention was to give a place where’s people could describe annoyances at an airport, not an airplane. Flight experiences shouldn’t be included. I’m looking for stuff like inconvenient delays or long, slow security.

2 Likes

One time all flights were temporarily cancelled because there was a bomb threat. It was super scary until we found out it was a false alarm.

2 Likes

Lookin’ like we aren’t getting out of OR Tambo without losing $1000…

1 Like

Did you try searching for fares through a travel searcher? i.e. KAYAK, Expedia

1 Like

I go standby all the time so Im always at a risk of being left behind it can be good and bad lanzarote was my worst experience

1 Like

Yeah. The best way of getting out of here would be to make a stop in Windhoek. The price is 260pp, but the layover is a day, and I’m not sleeping in another Airport. Anyway, let’s get back on topic.

1 Like

Sofia airport; avoid, avoid, avoid. Lackluster security, boring terminal with expensive shops, food and drinks. Business lounges aren’t worth mentioning either. Although, it’s got a nice view.

The best thing about the airport is that you get to leave. Although, Sofia/Bulgaria is a great place to visit!

2 Likes

Hey mate! What airline are you flying, I may be able to help you since my dads best friend flies for Mango and my dad himself used to fly for SAA before he moved to Qatar.

1 Like

Funny you ask, Mango is actually the airline that got me into this mess. Our flight was delayed so we had a tight connection to complete, and unfortunately it didn’t work out. As for the airline, I’m not loyal in Africa (I used Delta only in the USA, but since I moved we’ve just been trying to find the cheapest flight). We are open to any options.

Its due to the strikes, they’re striking because they are getting paid to little, I’ll try phoning my dad tomorrow morning to see what his friend can do.

1 Like

Cool! We intended to fly with Kenya Airways up to Nairobi and back down to Lusaka, but like I said, I’ll take any suggestions.

I really dont know what he could do, But I’ll have to do.

1 Like

Having to throw away sandwiches before a domestic flight in Vietnam while passing through security 🙄

1 Like

I was at Orlando airport earlier this year. They were testing the fire alarm systems for some reason. Sounds like no big deal right? Wrong. They tested them for over an HOUR. By the time I boarded my flight they were still going! Most dreadful experience ever! I swear I can still hear that awful sound sometimes

3 Likes

I was at KMSY for an American Airlines flight to KDFW. I got to the airport around 5 am and the flight was scheduled for 6:30 am. I got there just as boarding started and waited on the plane for takeoff. About an hour passed and the plane was still sitting there. Then the pilot comes on the intercom and says that his chair won’t lock and they have to get maintenance to fix it. We were all deborded and waited in the terminal. It was about 30 minuets later that the gate agent announced that the chair had to be REPLACED and we would be looking at about a 9:30 am departure. 9:30 rolls around, and they move it to 12:30 pm. 12:30 rolls around and the chair is finally delivered. The mechanic fixes it, but we still waited for a long time to actually board. In the end, the plane left KMSY around 3:15 pm. What really sucked was that KDFW was only a connection and I had to fly from there to KDEN after that. It was the longest, most boring day of my entire life.

2 Likes

In every airport in Europe getting patted down by the idiotic security, all I had was toothpaste and allergy pills (my allergies get bad in the summer and fall) they think everything needs to make them search someone down

4 Likes