Airlines recovering?

As a pilot working towards an ATP, I’m curious to see if anyone has any insight on when you think hiring will return to normal. Thanks for you input

3 Likes

Oh geez. I am not an airline pilot, but if I had to guess, mid to late June, as this is when summer travel will kick into over drive, however, if not then, presumably around September of October.

2 Likes

Some airlines have begun hiring again here in the US

1 Like

That’s what I’m thinking. People who were hired pre-pandemic have priority with class dates starting up. Some regionals are starting to hire. Just hoping for the best

1 Like

Whenever they can start rebooking flights to max capacity. Like what @AlaskaAirfireball111 probably in the summer time (June-August) or during the holidays (November-January). Especially with vaccines rolling out to more and more people, its looking around that time.

2 Likes

Let’s hope it picks up. I still have some time before I reach my ATP minimums.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the other thing, holidays, airlines will probably do some more mass hiring around mid October through mid February, and travel normal spikes around mid to late November, all the way through late January to early February.

So I would pay close attention going into late May, as well starting to pay attention around the of the summer period.

I’m also wondering if any pilots that took the early retirement option will have the opportunity to come back. So close yet so far lol

i know Spirit Airlines is operating around 80% of what they were before Covid. they are hiring again

I actually thought about doing the CapeAir to Spirit pathway program instead of going the instructing route, but after multiple mainline legacy captains told me to become a CFI, I figured that was the best route.

1 Like

Southwest has said they plan to be hiring again by Q3 of this year

Would love to see that happen. I know a couple people that fly for them and they love the company. @AviationFreak

1 Like

Im not a pilot, or involved in the airline industry in any way, shape or form. That being said, I don’t think the pre-COVID19 ‘normal’ will ever be considered “normal” post-COVID19. As for aviation, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of airlines will get back to their full flying schedule by early 2023. As for new hires and pilots, I don’t think they’ll be hiring regularly until summer / fall of 2022. This is because the new hires and pilots will need training on all the company related policies (and other job related training) and with retirements of many staff, I do think that there will be a huge need for the majority of aviation related jobs!

I do hope, however, that travel for the general public will be acceptable later this year!

3 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see what happens. Aviation has a way of testing if you’re truly passionate about it. It’s just another bump in the road for many people with a career in aviation. As far as your timeline goes. I could definitely see those dates being realistic, but one can hope for sooner!

1 Like

Absolutely! And there are so many different jobs related to aviation, that there is almost a job in aviation for anyone, regardless of their education level or interests!

1 Like

That’s what I love about it. You get to meet so many different people who come from different backgrounds. This forum is a great example

1 Like

Yes! I do agree!

1 Like

All I know if stuff about AA. They have started to retrain the furlough pilots, they will start rehiring if they haven’t already. On the early retirement for AA, I don’t think you get your job back as it came with a payoff to you for the years you didn’t fly. So about an approximation of how much money you could have earned like 1/3 or something(for the rest of the years you had left) You’d have to look that up someone because I’m not sure.

1 Like

Yeah I figured they wouldn’t come back. I’ll have to look into it. I am sure some will continue flying elsewhere. I’ve heard American is beginning to call back people that were previously given class dates. Not sure how reliable the source is, but I heard early June will be their first new hire class.

Busy 2019 levels? 2023 at least? A solid recovery maybe this summer with vaccines and cases down but cases seem to rise in parts of Asia like India so we’ll have to see how that plays out

1 Like