Airline Safety and Accidents Study

Hello Community, Today I will be discussing US Airline safety and accidents. First off, lets discuss the some stats.
Flightaware Stats Tracking 10,677 Airborne Aircraft , had tracked 636,859,278 total flights in flightaware database, last 24 hours has tracked 113,707 arrivals.
Second we will define what an accident and an incident are according too the FAA.
AccidentFederal regulations require operators to notify the NTSB immediately of aviation accidents and certain incidents. An accident is defined as an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft that takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage. An incident is an occurrence other than an accident that affects or could affect the safety of operations. (See 49 CFR 830.)
IncidentThe NTSB defines an incident as an occurrence other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft, which affects or could affect the safety of operations. While many incidents do not need to be reported to the NTSB, there are serious incidents that must be reported.
Our next topic of discussion will be the probability of an aircraft accident or incident.
The odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million.
Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000. Among passengers aboard crashed planes, 95.7 percent survive. And according to the National Transportation Safety Board, even passengers of the most devastating airplane crashes survive at a rate of 76 percent.
Fatal US Aviation Commercial Airline Crashes Since 1998 There has been 12 aviation realated accidents since 1998. (20 years) resulting in 716 deaths. The last fatal accident was in 2009, 9 years ago before Southwest 1380.
Closing Remarks Air Travel is the safest travel of transportation there is, thousands of flights per day with millions of passengers take too the sky everyday, and yet while things happen because were all human, we shouldn’t be jumping out of our skin every time something happens with a jetliner. its life and things will break. Friendly Discussion below

10 Likes

Great points you have here, but I’d say the large majority of us here have no qualms about flying, it’s the general public who doesn’t really know the stats who are worried about this more than anything. Airbus have a document on their accidents from 1958-2016, which is worth a read here.

http://planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm has a list of crashes by the decade, all the way from the 1960s. I’m not sure how reliable the data is, but it matches up with the commonly known fact that human error has been the number one cause of accidents. It’s also interesting to see how the number of crashes have been steadily decreasing, thanks to tighter regulations.

I’d like to see this stat, but with human error removed. There’s nothing stopping me from getting drunk and then borrowing a car, but try and do the same with a plane and you wouldn’t even make it past the gate. It’s testament to how much extra security we’ve added after 9/11 and how aviation needs to be safe to be viable.

We wouldn’t be doing that if there were more crashes! It’s just because they’re so rare now people tend to exaggerate and overreact every time one happens, no matter the reason.

Great post, looking forward to more in the future!

All my stats and points are either from FlightAware, the NTSB website or the FAA website

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.