Airline Geeks | Birds of a Feather: The Aircraft Lost to COVID-19

I found these articles interesting and wanted to hear your opinions. This two-part series details the fleets that the coronavirus brought an unexpected end to, from the quiet retirement of Delta’s 737-700s to the big birds like British AIrways’ 747-400s.

In Part 1, AG details the big widebody jets that the pandemic has sent to their graves on untimely terms, such as the aforementioned 747 along with the 767 and an appearance from the oft-forgotten A340 series.

In Part 2, AG focuses on the small workhorses of various airlines. Anything from the once again aforementioned DL 737-700s to the AA 757s and 767s not seen in part 1 join in this celebration of their unfortunately shortened legacies. Additionally, part 2 includes some possible survivors of the pandemic and some extra-noteworthy retirements not featured in Part 1.

18 Likes

Two very great reads. Thank you for linking them! I thought the Embraer section in the second article was note worthy. I had no idea Egypt Air retired their ERJ175’s and the effect this had on the industry as a whole. Very cool reads. Thanks!

2 Likes

A lot of these retirements were already planned or on the horizon before COVID, and the virus only accelerated that. Although it would be nice to enjoy these aircraft for a bit longer and maybe give more of a formal farewell to aircraft like the DL 737, I’d rather the aircraft help absorb the hit and get forced into retirement, then see the airline unnecessarily lose money. Because quite frankly, your average traveler isn’t going to care too much about the aircraft they’re flying (with some notable exceptions perhaps) as long as the fares are good and they can get from point A to B safely. So yeah it’s sad for people like us, but hey that’s the reality of things and I’d rather look ahead to the future, or try to find the silver lining because dwelling on the past doesn’t do anyone any good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.