Airline flying and medicals

I have noticed that we have an influx of student pilots and brand new real world private pilots. So today, I am here to explain the different types of medicals and what they can be used for.

To start off, let’s talk about the most common medical, the third class medical. The third class medical is good for 5 years if you under the age of 40 and 2 years if you are over 40. With this class of medical, you can be a private pilot, student pilot, a recreational pilot, etc.

Second, we have the second class medical. The second class medical is valid for 5 years unless using it as a commercial operator, then it is valid for 1 year. Things included in a second class medical include but not limited to: private pilot, recreational pilot, flight instructor and a required crew member as SIC in a part 121 or 135 operation.

Lastly, we have a first class medical. The first class medical is valid for 12 months under 40 and 6 months for people over 40. You must hold a first class medical to be able to be PIC of an air carrier or second in command of an air carrier required three or more crew members.

First class medicals can be resorted to third class medicals of the class one medical privileges aren’t used and then the same expiration’s on medicals are the same.

11 Likes

Spelled airline in the title wrong @N1RG😉

3 Likes

Fixed. Thank you for pointing that out

2 Likes

My uncle has a business for pilot medicals as well as being a full time captain

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.