Aircraft's pitch is up during cruise.

I was flying from Auckland, NewZealand to Chicago,Illinois and I noticed that after leveling of at FL330 the aircraft’s pitch was up which really bothered me I would like to know why this occurs?

How much of a pitch angle?

1 Like

You could lower the pitch using the trim.

Having a positive pitch of about 2-3 degrees is completely normal.

2 Likes

was your aircraft overweight? also, what was your IAS during cruise?

Also which aircraft were you in? Some aircraft are designed this way.

2 Likes

(meanwhile my AOA is negative because of lifting body) Alright sorry for being useless but watch your AOA. Don’t stall.

If you were flying the 787 it does have a pretty high pitch during cruise, I fly it very often and even on shorter routes when it’s lighter it still has a relatively high pitch. Especially when you’re over the MLW but I believe it is designed like this and has to keep a couple of degrees of angle of attack to stay at a certain altitude. Note that at higher altitudes the air is thinner and therefore might be affecting the pitch to maintain your cruise altitude.

2 Likes

The guys Above have explained the reasons why very well.
Most aircraft are made and designed like this also with the air thining the wings have to have a higher angle to maintain the appropriate lift required for level cruise.
The 787 is a perfect example.

1 Like

The aircraft is a 787-9 and it has a pitch trim of about 1-2 degrees. As soon as I noticed the pitching up I reduced the pitch trim from 30% to 0% and the pitch remained at the same degree. The aircraft was not overweight and it is cruising at M 0.85. I did take off at a very high TOW, but even after 9:43 minutes the pitch has decreased.

Is their a way to reduce the pitch though

No, it’s designed to fly with a pitch angle.

Unfortunately I don’t think so unless you want a speed violation :/ All I can say is that if bothers you that much turn off the HUD and watch the scenery from the 787’s HD 3D cockpit and you won’t notice that bank. :) happy flying

1 Like

9:43 minutes as in 9 hours and 43 minutes

This pitching up has also occurred with other aircraft like the 777-300 and the 777-200LR

most aircrafts during cruise never fly leveled to the ground but the pitch angle varies and you’ll notice the most pitch in the heavier airliners.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.