Aircraft veers to the left at V1 no matter what wind direction

What program did you use?

Ha! Well said. And on top of that, I was responsible for igniting an answer to the wrong question (if I recall correctly) by rushing in prematurely - pacing and restraint are valuable friends I failed to heed.

1 Like

Do you use the 787

You don’t just get to dump that screenshot without mentioning the name of the program. It looks super cool!

It’s TOPCAT - a performance calculator. I compared its accuracy to FlySmart (an official Airbus performance calculator) and the numbers are very much in line for the A320 with CFMs. I can’t test how accurate they are for other aircraft, unfortunately.

It does require a license, however.

@OregonAviaton Sorry, I completely missed your question! Hope this answers it.

1 Like

No problem!! Thanks for answering!!!

It makes sense for V1 to change with wind, if wind affects stopping distance. And it apparently even affects trains (from a research paper): tail wind increases stopping distance and should be considered when calculating safety margin and setting service train speed."

But why would wind affect Vr?

The biggest spread I could see in your images was VR 12% higher than V1. My argument would be: assuming the difference in rudder sensitivity is proportionally modelled, we wouldn’t be able to sense rudder going to an overcontrol sensation over a 12% change in IAS.