Aircraft veers to the left at V1 no matter what wind direction

For some reason whenever I play infinite flight my takeoffs are weird. My aircraft veers to the left no matter what direction of the wind. Then I have to fumble with the rudder to restablise it. Additionally, sometimes the aircraft points its nose up automatically before V1. Anyone has similar issues or has a fix?

2 Likes

Hi. Aircraft like the 787 (maybe it was your aircraft?) have a tendency to rotate early. So it helps to trim less and/or keep down pressure on the nose (this resists the yawing).

And with such aircraft where the nose comes off early, they will yaw to the side with even moderate cross wind.

But you say your aircraft always veers left. Is there a chance that you always had a crosswind in the same direction?

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. Actually, the crosswind was in the opposite direction, so that’s why I’m making this post.

1 Like

So if cross wind is causing you to yaw left, it means the crosswind is blowing from left to right. It may seem counterintuitive that you yaw into the wind, or upwind. Wind coming from the left hits the tail as your largest exposed surface, pushing it right. So your nose goes left.

I’m not sure if that was your issue.

Since it’s no matter what the wind direction is, I believe it would be related to auto coordination

@Max_Cheng In your settings, do you have auto coordination enabled? Auto coordination means you can tilt your device to steer on the ground. I (and most everyone I know) have it off and steer using the rudder control because it has a tendency to ruin taxi and takeoff. It’s also less realistic because aircraft in real life do not steer using the yoke on the ground

Basically, if you could make sure auto coordination is disabled, you should be good.

4 Likes

I agree it is preferrable to have auto coordination off. In particular to be able to put “ailerons into the wind” without affecting directional control.

But I don’t agree that auto coordination on prevents you from counteracting crosswind yaw with rudder pressure. To verify I just tried several 20knt crosswind takeoffs in a 737 both with auto coordination on and off. There is no difference in being able to counteract crosswind yaw no matter how auto coordination is set.

So auto coordination on would not affect the OP’s issue, to the best of my understanding.

I will do further testing because I forgot the wind direction.

1 Like

Thanks. I will try that.

I wanted to mention that

can most often be worked on gradually at a later time.

I mean, the fact I could still control most of the crosswind effect while using my rudder, even with auto coordination on kind of proves that (since I can’t use ailerons separately with auto coordination).

Hello!

Possible solutions shall be listed 👇:

1. V1 speed calculated correctly. V-Speeds are calculated based on winds etc. (To refer to the the correct speeds input data into Simbrief or IFPL converter)

2. Likely you did not rotate before V2 therefore high wind drafts steered the aircraft in the direction of the wind.

3. At correct V-Speed rudder input was minimal or absent.

To refer to crosswind takeoffs etc. and proper technique refer to the user guide listed on the IF website.

Cheers,

Logan

1 Like

What do you mean?:

I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, but can you provide a specific reference for this?:

As for:

any amount of crosswind, even rotating at V2, will cause yaw. There is more rudder effect at higher speeds giving more responsive action, than say below V2. But a significant enough crosswind will still yaw the aircraft to a challenging degree at V2.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the aircraft will be steered in the direction opposite the wind (it will yaw upwind). The drift of position however will be downwind.

All nuances of flight are not necessarily fully covered in all the manual descriptions. That’s partly the reason I assume why the manual is being opened up to community editing.

V-Speeds must be calculated by a system which analyzes current conditions and weather to determine this speed. Also aircraft type.

You are correct. I said it the opposite way.

Note: V1 is not likely when you would steer off this would likely be after VR. V1 is the maximum speed for aborting a takeoff but if not rotated by VR the rudder will tend to over correct leading to over steering etc.

1 Like

This is the OP’s first post. I don’t know if this would help with the OP’s question? As a former private pilot and engineer I’m still trying to understand what you meant. I briefly searched for b737 or other aircraft takeoff speed chart to see how any crosswind component would be factored into recommended v speeds. So far my search wasn’t successful (I ran out of time).

I disagree. The speed range from V1 to rotate is not very distant. I wouldn’t be able to detect a difference in rudder response. I re-verified this just now with a 757 (known for sensitive rudder), 20kt cross wind.

But more importantly, over correction of rudder this is not what the OP is asking about.

The drift is a combination of lift and wind. This is likely not to occur before VR.

1 Like

Topic title has now been changed to clarify that wind direction is not part of the problem, soooo…I have no clue from the available info…

??

Sometimes when I’m taking off, after VR, it’s drifted to the left, I have one hand adjusting the rudder (so it isn’t much of a problem for me) and the other controlling the rest of the instruments (I use a ps4 controller to fly). I rotate a bit slower than I probably should.

Generally speaking, the stronger the headwind, the higher the V speeds (opposite true in the case of a tailwind). See performance calculations of an A320 with CFM engines at LCLK with a 10-knot headwind, and then a 10-knot tailwind attached.

On a side note,

This is not necessarily true. In cases where your aircraft is performance limited (specifically in regards to runway length or condition), the spread between V1 and Vr can be quite significant - see below for another example.

Let me know if you need any further clarification. Thanks.

If anyone ever needs a topic where explanations are waaay more advanced and over thought than the most probable solution, I’ll show them this ;)

7 Likes

the amount of people pretending to be professionals but actually sounding ridiculous is insane

@adit @OregonAviaton

2 Likes