Aircraft stalling at 41000FT

Hi was flying today from EGLL to OTHH with the A359. I started the flight 2day at 14:56, filed the FPL and took off. Climbed to FL390 then 3:45 hours later Climbed to FL410. Everything was going fine until I reached the Persian sea. I was on my laptop monitorig my flight on liveflightapp.com and finishing my work and saw it descending. I went to check on it too see it crashed. I replayed it and found out that it stalled. IDK how is it possible to stall when light and on autopilot. Plus I had only 12 minutes remaining to the beginning of descent point😈

1 Like

Did you have enough fuel?..

1 Like

Can you share the replay file here?

Yes 1:15 hours. I always spend at least 25 minutes to file a flight plan and calculate fuel and weight, cruise Altitude…

How? @Chris_S

Hope this helps @GhostCustoms.

I tried but you can’t watch it IDK why

1 Like

If you upload and save to iCloud or your google drive by the thread above, you’ll be able to copy the link to the file and we should be able to watch. The file is named by date.

@GhostCustoms use this website to share your replay - then post the link here:

Happened to me once in a A330.
Also didn’t knew what had happened.

After studying the replay and informing on IFC I came to the conclusion that I was still to heavy to be flying on such a high altitude. I think that winds also play a factor in how fast you can climb to higher altitudes.

Maybe this could count for your experience as well.

Yes. This seems like the engines couldn’t keep up with the thrust needed to keep your aircraft at such a high flight level. This has happened to me when I stepclimb in an A330. The aircraft would start falling in the middle of the flight, not because of too steep of a climb, but because the engines were at max thrust, but couldn’t keep the aircraft moving fast enough to create the lift needed to be at such a high altitude. The A330 and A350 don’t have the same range above max thrust as the B777 & B787, which can keep you at a steady climb and level flight at higher altitudes. And, plus, you decided to climb to 39000ft right off the bat, which requires more fuel than starting lower, which ends up causing the engines to work harder and, ultimately not be able to keep your flight at 41000ft. Additionally, the Persian Sea is experiencing heavy crosswinds, compared to the tail winds earlier in the flight, which may also have played a role with it’s turbulence and the help of tailwinds gone.

This might also relates to Coffin corner where you are in a very tight area of save flight. Even windgusts or increase drag due to banking (on a waypoint) might give the kick to stall.
Not a support topic to my opinion.

1 Like

Try the route again, but climb in increments of maybe a few thousand feet at a time. Or, set your V/S to ascend at a few hundred feet a minute.

What was your Take Off Weight (TOW)?

I had 280 passenges, 11,300kgs of cargo and 41,036 block fuel. But lost a lot of fuel after a 5:23 minutes of flying at a thrust of about 72-89%, so its impossible to stall due to over weight.
Here is my flight plan

Wow! Impressive FPL here. Do you know your GTOW? Also we’re you flying into headwind or tailwind?

The thrust power didn’t reach more than 93% during the whole flight I was at 41000ft for about 1 hour and nothing happened

Anyways I’ll fly the same route today again at 15:05Z. My callsign will be QTR7PR and will be on the training server.

Thanks for your help😊

I can’t remember the TOW. But I had about 78kts of tailwind while flying over Basrah airport Iraq.

Here are the probable cases:

1. Fuel Starvation
    If the aircraft had 41036kg of block fuel and at almost the end of the 5.5hr flight there were only 12 minutes of fuel left, it can only mean you were on an overly-high cruise with at least 7400kg/hr of fuel burn. You should’ve not taken it to FL390 at the beginning. Normally if your aircraft is heavy, said loads of fuel, cargo, and pax which puts the aircraft to about 70-80% of its load, you should start low then step climb while checking your N1 and fuel burn. You clearly didn’t have enough fuel for the flight to be operated at FL410. Try initial climb to FL310 next time.

2. Unexpected Autopilot Disarm
    This IF bug simply disarms your autopilot. If your device is settled nicely at a push down angle, then there you go.