Airbus Zero-Emission commercial aircraft

Airbus has revealed three concepts for the world’s first zero-emission commercial aircraft which could enter service by 2035.

These concepts each represent a different approach to achieving zero-emission flight, exploring various technology pathways and aerodynamic configurations in order to support the Company’s ambition of leading the way in the decarbonisation of the entire aviation industry.

All of these concepts rely on hydrogen as a primary power source - an option which Airbus believes holds exceptional promise as a clean aviation fuel and is likely to be a solution for aerospace and many other industries to meet their climate-neutral targets.

“This is a historic moment for the commercial aviation sector as a whole and we intend to play a leading role in the most important transition this industry has ever seen. The concepts we unveil today offer the world a glimpse of our ambition to drive a bold vision for the future of zero-emission flight,” said Guillaume Faury, Airbus CEO. “I strongly believe that the use of hydrogen - both in synthetic fuels and as a primary power source for commercial aircraft - has the potential to significantly reduce aviation’s climate impact.”

The three concepts - all codenamed “ZEROe” - for a first in climate neutral zero-emission commercial aircraft design.

“These concepts will help us explore and mature the design and layout of the world’s first climate-neutral, zero-emission commercial aircraft, which we aim to put into service by 2035,” said Guillaume Faury.
“The transition to hydrogen, as the primary power source for these concept planes, will require decisive action from the entire aviation ecosystem. Together with the support from government and industrial partners we can rise up to this challenge to scale-up renewable energy and hydrogen for the sustainable future of the aviation industry.”

In order to tackle these challenges, airports will require significant hydrogen transport and refueling infrastructure to meet the needs of day-to-day operations.

Support from governments will be key to meet these ambitious objectives with increased funding for research & technology, digitalisation, and mechanisms that encourage the use of sustainable fuels and the renewal of aircraft fleets to allow airlines to retire older, less environmentally friendly aircraft earlier.
#Airbus
#ZEROe

3 ZEROe new designs envisioned for 2035 onwards

A turbofan design (120-200 passengers) with a range of 2,000+ nautical miles, capable of operating transcontinentally and powered by a modified gas-turbine engine running on hydrogen, rather than jet fuel, through combustion.

The liquid hydrogen will be stored and distributed via tanks located behind the rear pressure bulkhead.

A turboprop design (up to 100 passengers) using a turboprop engine instead of a turbofan and also powered by hydrogen combustion in modified gas-turbine engines, which would be capable of traveling more than 1,000 nautical miles, making it a perfect option for short- haul trips.

A turboprop design (up to 100 passengers) using a turboprop engine instead of a turbofan and also powered by hydrogen combustion in modified gas-turbine engines, which would be capable of traveling more than 1,000 nautical miles, making it a perfect option for short- haul trips.

Credits to Airbus for the Photos.

42 Likes

That first plane looks like they took a A350 nose, put it on the fuselage of an A220, the engines of an A320neo, and the winglets of a 777-X and made it a plane

But all this aside, pretty cool

12 Likes

Yeah very cool 😎.

1 Like

The propeller ones certainly seem the most straightforward, the hydrogen one is cool, but there have been a couple of hydrogen cars that have come to market that haven’t really done so well because they require a completely new infrastructure. The gas and electricity infrastructures are already well established, the obviously anything zero emissions would have to not use the prior, so utilizing the electrical grid seems like the obvious choice. Though that obviously creates a lot of problems especially for long haul planes with batteries, so hydrogen might be worth it if we can get an abundant system up and running. That said Airbus is using hydrogen for the propeller ones too, so clearly there confident that the system can be built.

1 Like

Heres a video of Airbus introducing it.

1 Like

Absolutely amazing! Looking forward to it :)

1 Like

Oh my gosh, all of them except the turboprop look so horrible and wrong

8 Likes

I agree, im also looking forward to it

Hmmm, definitely interesting and different from a lot of future projects. I’m excited to see if Airbus goes forward with the plan.

This is actually really refreshing. Hopefully this will push more stakeholders in the aviation industry to come up with environmental-friendly solutions. Environmentalists will be happy, avgeeks will be ecstatic, what’s not to like 😉

introducing the airbus a360 with the all new round design and ufo design.

1 Like

They could always switch to hydrogen or algae fuel

I really hate this.

They are just too ugly and gross, I DO NOT ever want to see that thing fly.

If through a miracle this does work and sell 2-3 orders it better not have ATTOL.

1 Like

What do you mean by ATTOL?

Automated Taxi, Takeoff, and Landing.

Yea I would be mad if it does that.

1 Like

I have the sudden urge for bleach.

2 Likes

It would take years before I would feel remotely confident to fly on one of these. I trust normal piston, turboprop, and jet engines for their reliability and efficiency.

While zero emissions would be good, it would completely change aviation. If Airbus is the only company to do this, would others go down the drain — monopolizing the manufacturing industry? Would we still see conventional-engined airliners 5+ years after these planes are delivered? What will happen to the GA business if airlines purchase zero-emission planes? What will it cost per-flight to operate one of these ZEROe aircraft — will they be worth the money for airlines? There are way too many what-ifs as for now. I’m sure more information will come, but there’s no way to tell what will happen after these aircraft hit the market.

I know this small section right here is down to personal taste, but what about those of us who love the sound of a roaring MD-80 or 737 classic? A piston engine DC-3? Would we be seeing these aircraft at all when Airbus makes these aircraft? It’s safe to assume that by 2035 when these ZEROe aircraft are set to enter service, it’ll likely we won’t see any remnants of aircraft built before 2000 flying for airlines, even in the smallest of roles.

These new engines, at the moment, are too new for me to remotely trust. I couldn’t see myself, or lots of people, to even think about flying on these aircraft. They may be efficient, but we have no way of knowing if the ZEROe aircraft are going to be successful.

I already don’t like Airbus for their over-reliance on computers and technology (in my opinion). Whose to tell that the ZEROe aircraft will be flown by 1 pilot, or computers alone? Full automation is an automatic no-no for me, no matter the aircraft and how safe it will be. Airbus is working on concepts for both last time I heard. Both of those would make me even less likely to fly on one of these.

Not to mention, they all look hideous. The turbofan looks like an A350 combined with a 777X with parts if the 787. And the flying wing looks like a 4th graders’ paper airplane. The turboprop is the only one that I think looks remotely good.

Sorry to burst Airbus’s bubble, but I don’t see this (as of now) coming close to be the most important transition of the aviation industry. What about in the 30’s when airliners became mainstream? Or the 50’s and 60’s when jet aircraft were faster and bigger than ever?

With all that said, I would like to say that I think the environment is important. And I know that I’m going to get a load of backlash for all of this, but I’m just voicing my thoughts just like everyone else has.

It will be interesting to see if this actually happens, or if it’s just another concept that never becomes reality.

2 Likes

The prop is the only normal looking aircraft.
That “new A321”? Whatever it is. Looks really bad with the door placements (makes me wonder if any of the rear space is usable). And those wingtips 😬

2 Likes

That’s just it; it’s not usable. That’s where they store the giant hydrogen bomb.

1 Like