Airbus may kill the A380

Rumors swirling that Airbus has decided they will probably axe the A380 if Emirates doesn’t make an order. Reuters article below.

28 Likes

I’m surprised it have lasted this long to be honest.
I don’t actually know this, just a feeling. But, feels like it was just a cool thing to do. Did the market really need it?

57 Likes

It was too late to the party and now they’ve realised

:(

3 Likes

The A380 is dead, Airbus has just not admitted it…

6 Likes

4 engine jets are not the future of aviation. The future of aviation are fuel efficient planes like the 787, A350, and B777X…

18 Likes

If you want the short answer here it is… no. This was just another aircraft that Airbus created to compete with Boeing and obviously failed.

20 Likes

If airbus needs to make it more fuel efficient to make airlines buy them.

3 Likes

Maybe in cargo planes but not passager planes.

2 Likes

Yeah, the B747-8F is doing well but not the PAX version.

7 Likes

This is probably the last commercial plane with more then 2 engines until Boeing crates something that will fly us all to mars

7 Likes

The reason that Airbus hasn’t seen an order in forever is because the A380 has failed as an airplane. The 787 has outdone it.
This video explains why:

10 Likes

I watched this video months ago

3 Likes

Same I did to I subscribe to that guy

4 Likes

The a380 can not be used for cargo it would be to heavy for the engines and if it were it could only carry as much as a 747 and nobody would buy a new one if they were they would buy a used 747 because it’s cheaper in the long run

5 Likes

I saw the A380 failwing when they canceled the freighter version I just said this is it

5 Likes

This doesn’t come as a surprise to me. It has been known for some time now that aircraft such as the a380 and the 747 are no longer in demand by the airlines. In October 2016, I did an internship where I was able to work in the Airbus Factory in Hamburg. I was given a tour and I was told that Airbus had been replacing a380 production lines with ones equipped for the a350. Also, there weren’t too many a380 standing around and those that were belonged to Emirates. It’s sad to see it go, however on the flip side, I am very excited about aircraft such as the a350 and the a321LR.

The sad truth is that the project just isn’t profitable. In my opinion, it’s better to axe the project before it’s too late and focus on new, more modern aircraft.

6 Likes

They had the a380 Plus, which was probably just a slightly larger a380 with more seats and a new winglet. (Which TBH looks like an MD11 winglet imo)

A380plus-Infographic-June-2017
From Airbus.com

9 Likes

That probably wasn’t the best idea. If the A380 was failing, they shouldn’t waste money on a larger plane. They need to fire their business team and replace it with Boeing’s business people 😂

2 Likes

It depends who you ask. The CEO of Heathrow airport is all for it and rightfully so considering the lack of slots. This is important because the only way to meet demand is through having larger aircraft. Only certain business models are compatible with what the A380 offers to Airlines.

3 Likes

I’m actually a huge fan of the A380. Sad to hear this, but maybe it’s for the best. The A380 is just too big of a plane, and many airlines know that it’s simply not gonna get enough passengers on it too be able to profit much. So it makes sense for this to happen. It’s also just a pain for airports to upgrade the gates to be able to fit it. So it’s understood.

6 Likes