Airbus H125 (AS350B3) crash - Alaska. Update 15OCT2018

3 are currently missing after an Airbus H125 (AS350B3) crashed in Southeast Alaska. One teen was rescued the coast guard reported the individual rescued showed signs of mid hyperthermia.
The AStar was brand new flying from the factory in Texas. It was being tracked by the family when they noticed it stopped tracking. The pilot has forty years of combined fixed and rotor wing time.
The coast guard is still searching for 3 at this time.


This is sad! I hope they find them ASAP and they’re alright. 🙏


Me too, Great news is one made it

1 Like

Damn it… Always sad to see those headlines.

If you don’t were a survival suit it’s very unlikely to survive in the cold water. Let’s hope for the best though. If one guy made it there’s hope for the other passengers as well. Take care up there! Can’t be easy for you as well, working for a helicopter company in Alaska too.

Can’t open the link as it’s not available in Switzerland/Europe.

1 Like

So the rule is 20-20-20 out here.
If you’re a 20 year old male
You can survive for about 20 minutes
And swim 200 meters (if you’re a healthy male)

A survival suit increases your chance by a few hours, so while you have a little longer to die it does help.

Look up maybe that’ll help!

1 Like

They released names…
Josh Pepperd his son, whose 11 years old and Davis King

NTSB Update: Helicopter was in ‘free fall’ before fatal Southeast crash

(Crash site: Released by NTSB)

The pilot in a Southeast Alaska helicopter crash which left himself and one of his two sons missing, with another man subsequently found dead, had cut the helicopter’s power shortly before the crash according to federal investigators.
“In a post-accident interview, [Aiden Pepperd] stated that the pilot ‘reached down and rolled the throttle off,’” NTSB officials wrote. “He added that the pilot left the collective up and the helicopter entered a free fall from about 500 [feet above ground level], then about 30 [feet above ground level] he increased the throttle again. He felt (the) helicopter impact the water and noticed water splash in the cabin, then went unconscious.”
The NTSB report doesn’t say why Josh Pepperd would have cut the Airbus’s engine power.

(Photo creds; Airbus)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.