Airbus Fly-By Wire

Since airbus aircraft have this capability in the real world we should eventually incorporate this into the game.

2 Likes

I guess the difference isn’t much TBH

2 Likes

What would be the difference?

2 Likes

Please be more specific, actually I think every aircraft in IF is technically fly by wire… We input our commands into our computers a.k.a. devices and those commands in turn control the plane. That is the texbook defeniton of Fly by Wire.

6 Likes

This would make no difference in the handling of the aircraft in IF.

2 Likes

@seedman do you refer to the side-stick trim, and the pitch/roll protection?

If yes, this could be a nice idea :)

6 Likes

I’m not sure you understand what ‘fly-by-wire’ means? Does your iPad have an in-built hydraulic system running through it?

6 Likes

I think what he means is that the aircraft will turn automatically according to the flight plan, without you having to adjust the heading manually.

That is not FBW at all. Lol

2 Likes

You won’t feel the difference with FBW at all in IF. FBW is basically just that instead of hydraulic fluid, you have electric wires to the control surfaces. No difference in behavior, at least not that IF can simulate.

1 Like

“The fly-by-wire system also allows automatic signals sent by the aircraft’s computers to perform functions without the pilot’s input.” That’s more or less what I think OP meant (not me).

1 Like

What is meant by that is to change how responsive the stick is in different conditions. However we have a sensitivity toggle switch, which does that for us.
In other words, what is meant by that phrase is not that it can function like a LNAV, but change control input directly. So it still won’t do any difference to IF.

Alright, alright, I give up! You’ve outsmarted me!

2 Likes

Lol, I just wanted to clear up any confusion, because based on the quote you posted, it could seem like they were talking about LNAV… :)

Haha well tbh that was what I though OP may have meant by his post, but it’s clear now that’s not what FBW is.

1 Like

The trim would be automatic in the game

Yes that was what I was talking about

1 Like

@seedman. MaxSez: Fly by Wire is a generic term. Later after multiple responses; “That what I was trying to say.” Why did’t you say it initially? Got a suggestion or an idea fir a topic flesh it out . Don’t wait for a duty expert to help you limp along. Google is your friend.
(I consider Auto- Land FBW, IF incorporated if ya ask me… Good nite… )

isn’t that LNAV

The Difference is more substantial,

unlike with conventional steering the flight control laws of the Airbus use “g”. When a pilot lets the sidestick rest in neutral, the airplane will therefore assume he’s demanding 1 g from it. That can be level flight but it can also be a constant rate of climb.

In roll the sidestick asks a roll rate and in pitch it asks a load factor (like 1.05 times g), rather than a direct deflection of the surfaces.

It also will not allow the aircraft to go outside the protected flight envelope.

Essentially in simple terms if you pull back on the stick and let go it will maintain the attitude.

now how you implement that in IF is beyond me.

Regards,