Airbus and Bombardier

I am some confusion and I can’t find any Clarity on the internet. Obviously Airbus bought Bombardier and developed the a220 from the previous c-series. My question is, is the C Series the same thing as the crj series? And everyone says that the a220 has no direct competitor but it seems to me like it’s the same exact playing as the 737 pretty much. Nothing obviously a little smaller but it’s a single-aisle regional aircraft. Same as the 737. Please explain to me what the actual C Series is and why the a220 does it have competition

C-Series (A220) is different from the CRJ variants. There’s not a whole lot of competition because there is no other new aircraft like that on the market or in the skies. Closest competitor would be the ERJ-175LRs or the 737 because of the range on the C-Series (A220).

1 Like

@Tyler_Barley I don’t think this belongs in the #real-world-aviation:spotting category as there are no pics you can change it to #real-world-aviation but not spotting

Airbus didn’t buy Bombardier, they’re still separate companies.

Initially Bombardier created the CSeries but they didn’t receive enough orders. What happened after is that Airbus took a majority stake in the CSeries project and they became the main owners of the project. Hence they renamed the CSeries into the A220 as it’s part of the Airbus fleet.

as I was writing my post that’s what I thought but for some reason I decided I thought I knew wrong so I said they bought the entire company but yeah that sounds right sorry. But the crj series is separate from the C series?

Yep, two different aircraft families.

1 Like

In a way, the A220-300 is competing against the 737 MAX 7.

Similar ranges and seating capacity.

However, there’s no true modern competition against the Airbus A220-100. (Aside from the E-195 E2 in terms of shorter routes, thanks GlobalFlyer1)

The A220-100 has a seating capacity of around 100 seats. Yet, it has the potential to fly routes such as New York to London, Boston to Amsterdam, Philadelphia to Lisbon, Tokyo to Darwin, Sydney to Jakarta, and more.

At the moment, nothing can actually compete against this small aircraft with a powerful range, which is why some people say there’s no direct competitor.

5 Likes

Really is sad that Airbus bought it from Bombardier as It would be good to have more than 2 main companies at top level.

Only the lack of orders they recieved was big downfall as they haven’t done a proper twin engine aircraft before like the Cseries?

thank you, but in reality Airline usually don’t blind small planes International or transatlantic. As far as I know the only airline that does this is British Airways which files a A318 from London to New York. So even if it doesn’t have competition, no one wants to fly whip it on those routes anyway right?

Its becoming quite popular, some Canadian airlines flight the max across the ocean, TAP and Aer Lingus is doing it with their A321XLR, and JetBlue was planning on it as well. Smaller aircraft are becoming popular for long thin routes as they offer increased route flexibility that large aircraft can not, hence why many 747s and A380s are being retired, they aren’t able to compete like small aircraft.

what do you mean route flexibility? Do you mean they can fly into smaller airports?

Flying to different range airports not like the A380/B747 can. It has more flexible options

They can fly into smaller markets yes, but they also offer the airline more flexibility on when the route is flown, for example, if it would take 2 days worth of passengers to fill a large wide body aircraft, why do that when customers will fly with a different airline and connect? You can split capacity among multiple days while varying departure times to suite peaks.

This video can provide a more comprehensive explanation:

2 Likes

The problem was that Bombardier simply didn’t have the resources to sell the CSeries like Airbus can.

But remember, this all started when Boeing went after Bombardier because of the Delta orders. Airbus found an opportunity and pounced on it. So far so good with the rebranded A220.

There’s actually quite a lot. Before this crisis, the market was flourishing with secondary markets operated by small narrowbody aircraft.

For example, nearly all of Norwegian Air’s east coast to Europe flights were on the 737-800 or 737 MAX.

Air Transat began using its A321neoLRs from Canada to Europe.

WestJet uses its 737-700s and 737 MAXs (before groundings) on transatlantic flights.

Aer Lingus recently began using its A321LRs between Ireland and the U.S.

When WOW Air was still running, it used regular A320s between Reykjavik and Pittsburgh sometimes.

There were lot more before the crisis.

As the market continues to collapse, the future will be with smaller aircraft with long-range, which is why I believe the A220 will be a revolutionary player.

1 Like

Bombardier will get 20% of sales right?

1 Like

Not anymore. Bombardier no longer has anything to do with the A220.

1 Like

Totally missed that. Is that 20% with their purchase of Bombardier?

Apparently they had a 34% stake before it was redistributed between Airbus and the government of Quebec.

1 Like

Little offtopic, just not confuse some people with Bombardier and Airbus. But Bombardier is no longer in Commercial Aviation. That is why Quebec owns part of the CSeries with Airbus.