Airbus A330-900neo Making People Nauseous?

So I was on my phone today, went onto the news and well… I saw this.

TAP Portugal claims it is due to the new cabin odors but I don’t think this is the case, I flew a 2 week old Boeing 737 MAX 8 and well, I didn’t get nauseous (I know it only happens to some in the A330neo but still, it hasn’t happened before)

What do you think it is? It is apparently the Rolls Royce Trent 7000 engines but it can be linked to the A/C system as well.

Hopefully, Airbus can fix this issue because this is quite saddening to hear.

7 Likes

They should just give the aircraft some time to get its engines settled and for the cabin to become normal, it’s only new so I would expect this on any aircraft.

1 Like

That’s what I thought so too. But this hasn’t happened before I don’t think.

1 Like

But it might not have happen to you as you have probably been on lots on aircraft.

I don’t mean to me, I mean to others.
Also I’ve been on loads ;) But the ones I generally fly are about a year old.

Well I flew the A330neo 2 times, once in Business Class and once in Economy. I think it just depends on the food and everything, since I sadly barfed in Economy but not in Business 😬

1 Like

You’re wrong guys, airbus as an history of “fume events” on the A320. I think the newer A350 takes air from an other entry than engines, that would explain why we never hear about it.

2 Likes

It’s just a bunch of claims that can’t be proven. It’s likely it’s just new equipment odours not toxic fumes. The toxic fumes usually only affect the A320 family, besides it wouldn’t be happening to a new plane most likely.

6 Likes

It’s mainly on near 20 year old frames. BA is a common carrier with these issues, particularly as they have gotten older aircraft that would otherwise be possibly retired

1 Like

I never get sick on the A320 family. I fly them loads, but I fly like new ones and the oldest one I flew last year was 10 years.

1 Like

Fume events are isolated problems, not every aircraft experience them.

It’s very rare, it affects the PW aircraft I believe due to oil consumption. BA have a lawsuit against them. Again though it’s very isolated so to say the A330neo or any other Airbus has such issues is not going to be believable. At this point the A320neo’s can have more if a safeguard but older frames will cost thousands to have a redesign which is not viable for airlines.

Oh alright, makes sense. I fly on A320ceo’s so yeah.

A321neo this summer though ;)

2 Likes

Yes I have heard many stories on this about the A321LR sadly. I will be flying on it and I hope I don’t get nauseated. 😬

1 Like

I think it’s worth looking into. This is one of those situations whare in isolation it’s easy to brush off, but if this is going to happen to every new A330N? That’s pretty ridiculous, and if I were them, I’d atleast give it a good look

I’d say have a look into it too. Just to double check. Let’s not make the mistake Boeing made with the MAX.

Where are these? As long as they aren’t toxic fumes you should be fine. Again having researched the issues it’s only really going to affect IAE A320’s with leaky seals. Just like a car planes have odours when new. Can’t do much about it with a plane though, you can’t exactly Air it out

3 Likes

They should put a perfume scent like they do in hotels until they fix the problem so that not many passengers will be nauseated. Or else it will just be a really chaotic scene.

I think this is very different than the MAX, not in small part because of the severity of the issue, but also Boeing started making a software fix right after the first accident, the article makes it sound like all parties involved are doing a lot of finger pointing and denying not fixing…

1 Like

Wait, so like P&W and IAE all have fumes issues on the A320 family but CFM doesn’t?