Airbus A330-300 landing habits

Previously in my life i have often seen the Airbus A330-300 Landing oddly i noticed that the pilot needed to land on the main last wheels of the landing gear and then put the whole main landing gear on the ground

Video credits
Simon Lowe

ANY INAPPROPRIATE COMMENT WILL BE FLAGGED

1 Like

There is nothing odd about this landing, they flare the same as every other aircraft but have a different landing gear than most aircraft. It makes for a smoother landing - hence most of the time people think the landing has been “buttered”.

5 Likes

Agreed it is mostly the design of the main gear. The pilot did do a really good job with touching it down but most of it is the design of the gear.

1 Like

Old aircraft designs are mostly the last main landing gear wheel are tilt down, the disadvantage is causing to bounce. Now a days, the first main landing gear wheel is downward to create less bounces.

Here is a well structured tutorial explaining wheel tilt.

6 Likes

Gear tilt! Wouldn’t that be nice in IF

3 Likes

That landing was SOOOOOOO smooth. It probably didn’t even feel like a landing if I was on that plane!

2 Likes

@J2S…just please watch "BUTTER" by @Swiss 🙏🙏🙏

The reason for the gear tilt is so the gear can fit into the belly of the plane easier (using less room). I actually love the way the A330 looks and to me, it looks as if an eagle or a falcon is coming in to land!

2 Likes

I often take a330’s to Europe and the landings are so buttery. The extreme gear tilt makes for very smooth landings.

But the A330 behave differently when it comes crosswind landing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.