Airbus A320 Approach Phase

Hi
What is being being used as a Vls speed on the A320 family (its ok to combine the A318 , 19 20 and 21 variants as Airbus does for many performance data points)

I need to establish a general Vls speed so I can calculate a safe Vapp (approach speed ) in CONFIG 3
(that’s full flaps gear extended)
I’m looking for close to real numbers without making a full blown chart factoring various weights

Please don’t respond with crazy speed rates base on 100% guessing if you don’t mind.

I know some of you are working with A320 approach speeds based on real world calcs.

I just can’t seem to nail this down

thanks Doug

1 Like

This might help.

2 Likes

thanks !
don’t forget the MD-11/11F
these are general ranges

I’m focusing on the Airbus A320 family.
I will work on a chart
based on landing weight in Config 3 and Config Full
Starting at the A321-200 MLW in KGs. and working down to the 318 MLW …I need to establish
the Vls - Vref data.

I have the specfic data now for a A320
approach speed at 64 metric tons (64,000 KG)
which is 139 knots at Config Full and 143 Knots at
Config 3.
This is based on Vapp +5
So I have some work to do to get some workable numbers based on weight and the headwind component factor.

2 Likes

Good luck with your research. Maybe you can put it up when it’s done.

I made an excel calculator, but cannot attach here. I can send it to you if you are interested.

Right… I cannot send the file anyway… but I did calculate wind, altitude and temperature, so if you find a computer, let me know!
Also made one for the TBM.

1 Like

Ok thanks !!!

This is the chart for A320 performance numbers. The Vls speeds and Vapp calculation process are on the final two pages. The takeoff speeds work very well at each flap setting though generally it’s 1+F for 85-90% of takeoffs.

http://www.satavirtual.org/fleet/A320PERFORMANCE.PDF

You can see my post here:

For more detailed info on how the calculations are made

Config 3 is Flaps 3-that would generally be used for gusty winds on landing in an Airbus to allow for better G/A climb performance (that’s one reason anyhow)

Airbus A320 “standard” is for Config/Flaps Full while you’d see Config/Flaps 3 used for landing more times with the the A330 (based on research thru PPRUNE/Airbus PDF presentations online)

1 Like

Thank you !! I have these and others from Airbus
your help is appreciated 🙂

Thank you …I have all of this data 🙂

So if you have all the data-you’ve got your speeds so I’m not real sure about the idea of the post? The speed charts that are out there and available have been tested and work for the aircraft in IF* and using them has improved many a landing.

There’s no guessing on them-they work and it’s a testament to the physics packages in IF that they do work-they’ve been “battle” tested if you will by my entire VA (and more pilots than just the VA use them)

There are full blown charts for various aircraft weights for a reason-there isn’t one specific speed that will work-if you were to take 135kt as “a standard” Vref for example on an A320 and you were at Max landing weight with any wind, you’d be risking a stall. It’s the same principle for any other aircraft. The weights matter quite a bit and you’re risking a stall by not adhering to the charted speeds.

In addition, the Airbus additive for flaps 3 vs flaps full seems to be 3kt. So if Vls/ref was 135kt for flaps full, it would be 138kt for flaps 3.

(*Tested and confirmed A/C that have charts and work are: DC/MD/B73X/B777/B789/A33X/A32X/EJets/Q400)

This chart starts at the A321 MLW of 170K lbs and goes down all the way-remember the A32X family has the same wing, just different fuselage lengths and weight limits

Thanks that is what i was looking for 👍
I was averaging the Vref as 135 kts and for some reason couldn’t find this.

Thanks that is what I was looking for

Altitude is a factor as well (and in IF too!). The easy formula I defined for this is to add to sea-level-vls the following : (13altitude-in-ft/5000) sea-level-vls…
So for 132kt vls at sea level, one gets 144kt at 3500ft and 156kt at 7000ft.
It is important to avoid stall while approaching some high altitude airports.
Just my two cents…

2 Likes

Thank you !

Ok good-glad to help but I was really confused when you were saying trying to make Vref/Vls without a chart because there’s a chart with all the weights which are calculated at a factor of 1.13xVSmin per 1000kg/lbs weight of the airframe at the time.

You’re fairly close on the average-the mean Vls speeds of (MLW of 170K vs lightest possible LW of 100K divided by two) for the A321 is 129kt so with the initial 5kt additive it would be 134kt mean Vapp
But to stay out of trouble it’s best to stick to the chart-I will warn that the A321 is a bit out of whack since the 19.2 update-be cautious while slowing to approach speeds. She doesn’t hold 170kt to the marker and altitude at the same time very well anymore-prior to 19.2, it flew perfectly. Now there’s some fudge factor in there-gotta give it a couple extra knots while you’re on base and the first part of your intercept where 170kt used to work perfect. The Vapp and Vls are still on the money
For the A320 it’s 125kt (actually 124.5 but I rounded up) 100K Vls + 146K Vls/2

I don’t have the A318/19 MLW’s handy but I’d wager they’d be 120kt-ish

Temp and altitude both matter due to the air density-in the link there’s additives for those speeds

Its temperature modeled IF
to the degree it has a measurable impact on the aircraft performance…if so that adds a new consideration.